The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
CCS.N0000 ( Ceylon Cold Stores)Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:31 amHawk Eye
When Will It Be Safe To Invest In The Stock Market Again?Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Dividend AnnouncementsWed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
MAINTENANCE NOTICE / නඩත්තු දැනුම්දීමThu Apr 06, 2023 3:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 amyellow knife
The Korean Way !Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
In the Meantime Within Our Shores! Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What is Known as Dementia?Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
THE LANKA HOSPITALS CORPORATION PLC (LHCL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Equinox ( වසන්ත විෂුවය ) !Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMB.N0000 (Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
REXP.N0000 (Richard Pieris Exports PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
RICH.N0000 (Richard Pieris and Company PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Do You Have Computer Vision Syndrome?Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
LAXAPANA BATTERIES PLC (LITE.N0000)Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What a Bank Run ?Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTERWed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pmkatesmith1304
GLAS.N0000 (Piramal Glass Ceylon PLC)Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Cboe Volatility Index Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AHPL.N0000Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
TJL.N0000 (Tee Jey Lanka PLC.)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CTBL.N0000 ( CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC (COMD. N.0000))Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:43 pmyellow knife
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CSD.N0000 (Seylan Developments PLC)Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 amyellow knife
PLC.N0000 (People's Leasing and Finance PLC) Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Bakery Products ?Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
NTB.N0000 (Nations Trust Bank PLC)Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Going South Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
When Seagulls Follow the TrawlerThu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Re-activatingSat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
APLA.N0000 (ACL Plastics PLC)Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AVOID FALLING INTO ALLURING WEEKEND FAMILY PACKAGES.Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Banks, Finance & Insurance Sector ChartTue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
VPEL.N0000 (Vallibel Power Erathna PLC)Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DEADLY COCKTAIL OF ISLAND MENTALITY AND PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER MIX.Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
WATA - WatawalaSat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
KFP.N0000(Keels Food Products PLC)Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Capital Trust Broker in difficulty?Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
IS PIRATING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY A BOON OR BANE?Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What Industry Would You Choose to Focus?Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:39 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Should I Stick Around, or Should I Follow Others' Lead?Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:07 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DV-2024 Program: Online RegistrationThu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Disclaimer

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Fed Rate hike , Rs Devaluation PART 2 : Should CSE be like this? Whose FAULT is it?

+17
CK
pjrngroup
ruwan326
xmart
malanp
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
nihal123
Yin-Yang
serene
Senarath67
Ethical Trader
yellow knife
Seyon
The Alchemist
mymoney
stockback
slstock
21 posters
Go down
nihal123
nihal123
Top contributor
Top contributor

Fed Rate hike , Rs Devaluation  PART 2 : Should CSE be like this? Whose FAULT is it?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Fed Rate hike , Rs Devaluation PART 2 : Should CSE be like this? Whose FAULT is it?

Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:22 pm
The Alchemist wrote:No point playing the blame game. we have all become utterly disillusioned in the past 3 years. best to look forward. what are we in for ? next year or two. what are the best stocks to buy at current prices. or is it a good time to even buy stock ?  

Thanks "The Alchemist"
It's good idea.
serene
Top contributor
Top contributor

Fed Rate hike , Rs Devaluation  PART 2 : Should CSE be like this? Whose FAULT is it?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Fed Rate hike , Rs Devaluation PART 2 : Should CSE be like this? Whose FAULT is it?

Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:15 am
slstock wrote:
serene wrote:Thanks SLS. Very meaningful and timely post which explains the underline reasons for the doom state of CSE currently.
Hope that the people will fully comprehend what you state here and act accordingly for the betterment of all.
I'm also with a quite a loss at the moment but I stop on blaming the system  and take full responsibility for my losses as they were my own decisions. This might enable me to fine tune my strategies in times to come.

1) Am still not sure  many comprehend what was tried to be explain.

2)  Well it okay to blame the system a bit as system is at part fault.
But we public are the ones who create the system  and letting it exist.
So yes not only you , but we all are to take ultimate  blame.

Agreed.
But after seeing what has been happening with the Previous and current Government I had loss any hopes.
I first heard Sri Lanka as a Developing country. It is same after over 30 years and would be the same after another 30 Years.
I just mentioned my frustration and will do things to correct the system within my capacity. But I"m trying to find ways to survive under this System as well.
malanp

Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:56 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
In which country a Central bank governer is the biggest thief and the most wanted criminal???
In which country the chief justice has been impeached for no apparant reason???
In which country the presidential candidate has been arrested and jailed for political revenge???

Well we sent a clear message to investors that we are worse than Rwanda or Pakistan military junta..
MR and Ranil both brought the country to the heels, and we have no route to escape, it will take another 10 years to settle down the blunders they did.. till then you put your money in somewhere else..
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:21 am
Ok... Now the thread has shown following points.

1. Do nothing... Blame the government.

2. Pick the right shares.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:35 am
The Alchemist wrote:No point playing the blame game. we have all become utterly disillusioned in the past 3 years. best to look forward. 

a) Utterly disillusioned only last 3 years ??? You sure ? What about years before that?

b) Well , aren't many  still doing it ( the blame game) and that's the only thing they do?

The Alchemist wrote:
what are we in for ? next year or two. what are the best stocks to buy at current prices. or is it a good time to even buy stock ?

a) Well if anyone expect market to be like this for 2 more years, then by that time there maybe no market Wink

b) Think if someone reads my post carefully there are some indicative answers to your questions.

c) Anyway, what do you think Alchemist ? Is it good time to buy ?
Seyon
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:40 am
yellow knife wrote:Ok... Now the thread has shown following points.

1. Do nothing... Blame the government.

2. Pick the right shares.

Thanks SLS and YK

This is what we want now, Shall we discuss abt value shares.

I am following up few shares from banking sectors (specially SAMB, SDB, DFCC)  and LLUB.  

Members  i need your advice as i was long away from the market for past few years.
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:41 am
Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)
Shall we discuss abt value shares.

Ok... The shares you mentioned are really good. Now you buy them today and would find its price has decreased further down tomorrow.

While that is happening a share or two not even worth looking at ( based on fundamentals) is / are moving up in a rally.

Now what?

Ok .. prepare for that and buy in small quantities. In a down market we can do following.

1. Do nothing until the falling knife stops falling. Then you can pick the fallen knife. If you catch a falling knife you will ( your Portfolio) bleed.

2. Buy with preparation to buy further and average if fall more. If so buy only in cash.

2.1 What to buy?

2.1.1 If you are a trader or short term player buy the shares that have more chances to bounce immediately. (such shares are small caps.. Low valued shares.. Definitely not Haylyes, Cars or DIMO)

2.1.2 If you are a long term holder buy based on Fundamentals ( irrespective of the value placed now or next by others)

If you are really smart check other investment options as well..Gold..Land
Ethical Trader
Ethical Trader
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:49 pm
Thanks YK for inviting to discuss shares.

If I were to buy (at this dull environment with the rupee depreciating very fast), I would prefer export oriented plc's with the highest rate of local value addition.

?Can some one with exposure to such plc's prepare a list. There after, each individual can do their own fundamental/technical analysis to pick potential shares to buy.
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:59 pm
They should list Dollar also in CSE; Should't they?
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:07 pm
Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)
Yin-Yang wrote:They should list Dollar also in CSE; Should't they?

That might be the only way to get Rs to appreciate in value against the dollar !
As soon as $ is listed at CSE it will start dropping. CSE is very good for that

1)
We depreciate against almost all currencies not only the $

I recall the time when 10 yen was Rs 1.  ( 10 cents)
Now ?
10 yen = Rs 15.0

2) Guess how much $ was to a Rs when we got independence?  

3) Government ( elected by the people ) blew the golden opportunity when Tsunami came.  I recall Rs appreciated about Rs 5 in a few days.  ( From around Rs 100 to Rs 95 with just tsunami Aid/funds coming in if my memory is right)

I am not sure there is any other country currency/economy
( except  a handful which maybe countries with limited resources )
which was more badly managed than Sri Lanka.  

Give yourself a pat on the back for electing the wrong people always to wrong positions and letting them keep their job too. Not to mention worshiping them too while at it.

21 million people against a 200+ in parliament.

But 200+ their few henchman rule against a powerless massive 21 million.

21 million watch , fight , complain and idolize the same politicians who they clearly
see did more harm than good to the country. Then they appoint them again next election under different party or different color.

What a weak nation.  We  get the rulers we deserve.

xmart
xmart
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:29 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
Fair argument SLS,

if Sri Lanka is a company listed in world exchange (it is) no one would want to invest in SL with reinventing the wheel once a 5 year and huge oscillation of power stability.

going forward, Sri Lanka is a wonderful land which filled with resources unlike Singapore, Dubai, Vietnam etc. most importantly, we have a capable human capital who can do anything (in fact, they do anything when they get an opportunity. its worth to remember, we were called "යක්ෂ" for our ancestor's ability to do stuff and adapt to situations)

the thing is, our people have no taste in democracy from the beginning and even now we are looking for kings in voting systems and politicians are acting like kings. democracy works very well in developed societies who put common cause a common thought and do not elect members to parliament for ceiling sheets or a job. when basic needs have not been met, under the democratic system, it is always easy to manipulate the system within itself.

anyway, India was able to emerge as economic power thanks to its consistent policy (though it revised few times) on FDIs and BPO. today India is world software developer. almost all the world leading brands had recognized India/ China as potential production and potential market and had invested in India.

if we come to SL, we are mere 21 Million people cramped in a small island. our people have a lazy and comfortable lifestyle (even if you don't have a good enough income source, you won't die by starving. besides, you can apply for samurdhi and live from that and do nothing- that's not how social security system work)

well, SL is not a market and it's not a production center too. our labor and related cost are high compared to other economies. we need a policy to make SL a service hub, that we are surrounded by the sea in midst of silk road with 3 wonderful harbors. our people are more cable of doing value-added services like software development, shipbuilding, and consultancy services. Avant-Garde is a lost opportunity due to mismanagement and stupidity of GOSL.

anyway, we need to boost export. either service or goods in order to see the light at end of the tunnel.

Cheer
serene
Top contributor
Top contributor

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:36 am
SLS and XMART your points are valid. I am wondering to whom I vote in the next election. Still Mara and the thieves say they have done nothing wrong and Royal thieves says they are doing the right things.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:58 pm
Xmart,
Good post.

Serene,

"I am wondering to whom I vote in the next election"

Think I discussed about this issue in detail in another thread answering someone else. Not sure you saw it ?
Can't recall where I posted it though.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:05 pm
BTW  Sleepy heads , wakey wakey,  have you"ll noticed !

Market has turned Green 3 days in a row ( so far 39 point up but with  Rs 240 mil)

I saw some people wanted to talk about specific shares .

a) I actually was planning to go step by step  and if atleast 20 individuals commented here,  was thinking to do another  post "How to revive CSE ( if we want to)"
As a first step, if majority doesn't realize why CSE is down and and not interested to fix anything no point to waste further time right? Can achieve  tasks at CSE only collectively.

b) You"ll are welcome to  talk about shares too here.  
    Will it help when all are sleeping ? We need more participation!

YK made a good general comment on shares.  
 Others , no comments on such ?
Few are willing to answer questions asked in the post or Bell the Cat.

Last edited by slstock on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:58 pm
serene wrote:SLS and XMART your points are valid. I am wondering to whom I vote in the next election. ++.

Of course, Donald Trump!
ruwan326
ruwan326

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:40 pm
slstock wrote:Xmart,
Good post.

Serene,

"I am wondering to whom I vote in the next election"

Think I discussed about this issue in detail in another thread answering someone else. Not sure you saw  it ?
Can't recall where I posted it though.  

How about Nagananda Kodituwakku?
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:18 pm
Do not trust this guy.
Another crook.
ruwan326 wrote:
serene
Top contributor
Top contributor

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:03 am
SLS my Picks are follows,
SAMP  -
Good growth over the Year.
Massive Two Rights will improve Interest margins.
Last Quarter High Impairment and foreign Selling Dragged this to 235 from 300's.  
Most innovative bank which Inculcate performance based  culture

LION
Blessed with most conducive environment to Prosper after flood Havoc.
Bought around 600s.
One of Foreign Favorites.

PAP
Good rainfall / Good Dividend / Owners collecting

LLUB
 At 65 Good Dividend Yield

PLC
Attractive at 14. With Rs.1.25 dividends

JKH
 130 Very appealing Price  and Captain Factor

COMB, HNB
 At dream Prices

EAST
Speculative / Even though risky 14.50 worth a Risk

PINS
 Dividend yield Over 10% / Dropped Due to last Quarter

AAIC
 I like their Marketing Strategy and Shows a Good Growth

LDEV
 With Dollar Appreciation seems to be good at 4.30

LOFC
 With the merger they might have better Earnings / But don't have a good Idea about the recent announcement

UAL
 Trading at a Bit Higher Prices But Forighners Buying at over 300

TESS / ASIY / EXPO
  Just for Trading

කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:34 am
How about REXP? bounce
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:53 am
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:Do not trust this guy.
Another crook.
ruwan326 wrote:

We need somebody to do the needful by hook or crook.
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:56 am
serene wrote:SLS my Picks are follows,

Buddy,

If you were allowed to choose unlimited number of wives, how many would you choose?
for what reason?
serene
Top contributor
Top contributor

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:35 am
Yin-Yang wrote:

Buddy,

If you were allowed to choose unlimited number of wives, how many would you choose?
for what reason?

Very Happy Very Happy
True buddy in case of you were to find a Wife.
But Above are My girl friends whom seduced me for their various attractiveness.
Where specific feature for each and every one mentioned.
I'm not going to marry those and will have second thought if there are other ones who are more attractive.
And true that choices of people are varies too much.
I just mentioned mine in response to the SLS request
"b) You"ll are welcome to talk about shares too here."

Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:50 am
I like that answer.

'Shares are not there to get married to.'
xmart
xmart
Top contributor
Top contributor

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:58 am
serene wrote:
Yin-Yang wrote:

Buddy,

for what reason?

Very Happy Very Happy
True buddy in case of you were to find a Wife.
But Above are My girl friends whom seduced me for their various attractiveness.
Where specific feature for each and every one mentioned.
I'm not going to marry those and will have second thought if there are other ones who are more attractive.  
And true that choices of people are varies too much.
I just mentioned mine in response to the SLS request
  "b) You"ll are welcome to  talk about shares too here."

good answer serene! shares are not to get married. more like mistresses.
serene
Top contributor
Top contributor

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:22 pm
X-Mart / Yin- Yang..
Did anyone seduce You ?
Bring it on.will see who is most attractive.. Very Happy Laughing
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum