The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans
The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
CSE NEWS+ 2022Thu May 26, 2022 5:40 pmruwan326
Will CSE close for long period?Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:52 amHUNTER
Margin Trading Facility Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:02 pmpjrngroup
Disclaimer


Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Go down
First Guy
First Guy
Posts : 2599
Join date : 2014-02-22

Plantations - snapshot Empty Plantations - snapshot

Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:54 pm
Message reputation : 100% (10 votes)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Most talked about in this forum are TPL and WATA. One I was interested in is KGAL.

Seems there's one similar to TPL. I can remember someone talked about this some time back.
pathfinder
pathfinder
Top contributor
Top contributor
Posts : 1450
Join date : 2014-02-23

Plantations - snapshot Empty Re: Plantations - snapshot

Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:07 pm
Thanks friend one like from me.
avatar
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor
Posts : 6956
Join date : 2014-03-27

Plantations - snapshot Empty Re: Plantations - snapshot

Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:27 pm
thanx FG
First Guy
First Guy
Posts : 2599
Join date : 2014-02-22

Plantations - snapshot Empty Re: Plantations - snapshot

Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:45 pm
But is there something wrong in how these are trading? If you draw the trendline, it won't be how it's supposed to be. But then again we are comparing only ROE and P/E.
Book value may not be that important here but since earnings may include fair value changes, cashflow might be a useful pointer. Unfortunately I don't have those values readily available.
avatar
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor
Posts : 6956
Join date : 2014-03-27

Plantations - snapshot Empty Re: Plantations - snapshot

Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:58 pm
Real problem is predicting future based on past performance
avatar
Jana1
Top contributor
Top contributor
Posts : 630
Join date : 2014-02-23

Plantations - snapshot Empty Re: Plantations - snapshot

Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:28 am
Thanks FG
First Guy
First Guy
Posts : 2599
Join date : 2014-02-22

Plantations - snapshot Empty Re: Plantations - snapshot

Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:04 am
yellow knife wrote:Real problem is predicting future based on past performance

True. Long time back I held HOPL. Now only KGAL (small quantity) as I view KGAL differently from others which can 'survive' and make a decent profit regardless of the situation due to their investments.
HUNTER
HUNTER
Top contributor
Top contributor
Posts : 1935
Join date : 2014-07-14

Plantations - snapshot Empty Re: Plantations - snapshot

Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:03 pm
First Guy wrote:But is there something wrong in how these are trading? If you draw the trendline, it won't be how it's supposed to be. But then again we are comparing only ROE and P/E.
.....
.

Good presentation FG +

Wonder if we have a way of showing more than 3~4 parameters in the same graph.
I can vaguely imagine a 3 dimensional graph for 3 parameters but beyond that, is inconceivable.

Anybody has any experience with 'multi dimensional' graphs?
avatar
dhanurrox
Posts : 791
Join date : 2014-03-27

Plantations - snapshot Empty Re: Plantations - snapshot

Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:28 pm
HUNTER wrote:
First Guy wrote:But is there something wrong in how these are trading? If you draw the trendline, it won't be how it's supposed to be. But then again we are comparing only ROE and P/E.
.....
.

Good presentation FG +

Wonder if we have a way of showing more than 3~4 parameters in the same graph.
I can vaguely imagine a 3 dimensional graph for 3 parameters but beyond that, is inconceivable.

Anybody has any experience with 'multi dimensional' graphs?
giving weights and getting a figure is the answer.graphing possible but hard to understand.
avatar
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor
Posts : 6956
Join date : 2014-03-27

Plantations - snapshot Empty Re: Plantations - snapshot

Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:33 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
Kegalle is too much into Rubber where the rubber price will remain lower as long as petrol price remain lower in the world market..

When comparing PE and EPS I dont think Kegalle Plantations PLC as attractive at current level..


2015201420132012201120102009200820072006
EPS5.0813.8418.9330.7935.3315.047.117.112.457.66
PE ratio16.897.595.923.345.873.122.683.513.375.22

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
First Guy
First Guy
Posts : 2599
Join date : 2014-02-22

Plantations - snapshot Empty Re: Plantations - snapshot

Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:22 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
When compared with other plantations KGAL has the lowest amount of biological assets as more than half their assets are in financial investments. So I won't look at it as a pure plantation company. only 50% of total equity is in biological assets, next lowest is WATA with 78% while all the others are 100% and above. The investments may be giving it some cushioning during these 'hard-times' but may not allow the company to maximize profits when the 'good-times' come. Also KGAL might be using the returns from (net) investments for operations, but I like to separate this from the core business. As far as cashflows go, I find TPL the most attractive (based on last 12 months), followed by HOPL, ELPL and BOPL.
First Guy
First Guy
Posts : 2599
Join date : 2014-02-22

Plantations - snapshot Empty Re: Plantations - snapshot

Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:33 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
yellow knife wrote:Kegalle is too much into Rubber where the rubber price will remain lower as long as petrol price remain lower in the world market..

When comparing PE and EPS I dont think Kegalle Plantations PLC as attractive at current level..


2015201420132012201120102009200820072006
EPS5.0813.8418.9330.7935.3315.047.117.112.457.66
PE ratio16.897.595.923.345.873.122.683.513.375.22


KGAL reported EPS of 9.16/- and not 5.08/-

But needless to say almost everything from investments
avatar
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor
Posts : 6956
Join date : 2014-03-27

Plantations - snapshot Empty Re: Plantations - snapshot

Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:29 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
well I took company EPS where as you have considered Group EPS..

I agree with you on biological asset matter..

The positive qualitative factor of Kegalle is its managed by Dr Sena Yaddehige and team.. Even when the rubber price dropped to bottom they manage to make profit and declare dividends..
HUNTER
HUNTER
Top contributor
Top contributor
Posts : 1935
Join date : 2014-07-14

Plantations - snapshot Empty Re: Plantations - snapshot

Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:53 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
IMO, As far as the share valuation is concerned, we need to consider (assigned to shareholder-) group figures (Not company).

Any other views?
First Guy
First Guy
Posts : 2599
Join date : 2014-02-22

Plantations - snapshot Empty Re: Plantations - snapshot

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:06 am
HUNTER wrote:
First Guy wrote:But is there something wrong in how these are trading? If you draw the trendline, it won't be how it's supposed to be. But then again we are comparing only ROE and P/E.
.....
.

Good presentation FG +

Wonder if we have a way of showing more than 3~4 parameters in the same graph.
I can vaguely imagine a 3 dimensional graph for 3 parameters but beyond that, is inconceivable.

Anybody has any experience with 'multi dimensional' graphs?

It would get a bit confusing in addition to being difficult to generate.
chutiputha
chutiputha
Top contributor
Top contributor
Posts : 1948
Join date : 2014-11-09
Age : 36
Location : SL

Plantations - snapshot Empty Re: Plantations - snapshot

Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:00 pm
Overall Plantation Sector..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

6 Month Period

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
First Guy
First Guy
Posts : 2599
Join date : 2014-02-22

Plantations - snapshot Empty Re: Plantations - snapshot

Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:25 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
First Guy wrote:When compared with other plantations KGAL has the lowest amount of biological assets as more than half their assets are in financial investments. So I won't look at it as a pure plantation company. only 50% of total equity is in biological assets, next lowest is WATA with 78% while all the others are 100% and above. The investments may be giving it some cushioning during these 'hard-times' but may not allow the company to maximize profits when the 'good-times' come. Also KGAL might be using the returns from (net) investments for operations, but I like to separate this from the core business. As far as cashflows go, I find TPL the most attractive (based on last 12 months), followed by HOPL, ELPL and BOPL.

My above positive view on KGAL was based on the amount of financial assets that they have. We should have known the end game of RPC plantation management's end game better.

Now that some good chunk of cash out, we need to analyze it further. But the money would not have been generating adequate returns thus returned to shareholders (parent)

Again, we are assuming that the announcement is correct. Bummer, if not.
CK
CK
Active Member
Active Member
Posts : 1393
Join date : 2015-11-01

Plantations - snapshot Empty Re: Plantations - snapshot

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:42 am
time to see again.. flower
CK
CK
Active Member
Active Member
Posts : 1393
Join date : 2015-11-01

Plantations - snapshot Empty Re: Plantations - snapshot

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:52 am
I am focusing mask and ldev seriously. Very Happy
Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum