The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
CCS.N0000 ( Ceylon Cold Stores)Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:31 amHawk Eye
When Will It Be Safe To Invest In The Stock Market Again?Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Dividend AnnouncementsWed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
MAINTENANCE NOTICE / නඩත්තු දැනුම්දීමThu Apr 06, 2023 3:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 amyellow knife
The Korean Way !Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
In the Meantime Within Our Shores! Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What is Known as Dementia?Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
THE LANKA HOSPITALS CORPORATION PLC (LHCL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Equinox ( වසන්ත විෂුවය ) !Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMB.N0000 (Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
REXP.N0000 (Richard Pieris Exports PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
RICH.N0000 (Richard Pieris and Company PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Do You Have Computer Vision Syndrome?Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
LAXAPANA BATTERIES PLC (LITE.N0000)Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What a Bank Run ?Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTERWed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pmkatesmith1304
GLAS.N0000 (Piramal Glass Ceylon PLC)Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Cboe Volatility Index Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AHPL.N0000Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
TJL.N0000 (Tee Jey Lanka PLC.)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CTBL.N0000 ( CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC (COMD. N.0000))Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:43 pmyellow knife
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CSD.N0000 (Seylan Developments PLC)Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 amyellow knife
PLC.N0000 (People's Leasing and Finance PLC) Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Bakery Products ?Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
NTB.N0000 (Nations Trust Bank PLC)Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Going South Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
When Seagulls Follow the TrawlerThu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Re-activatingSat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
APLA.N0000 (ACL Plastics PLC)Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AVOID FALLING INTO ALLURING WEEKEND FAMILY PACKAGES.Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Banks, Finance & Insurance Sector ChartTue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
VPEL.N0000 (Vallibel Power Erathna PLC)Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DEADLY COCKTAIL OF ISLAND MENTALITY AND PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER MIX.Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
WATA - WatawalaSat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
KFP.N0000(Keels Food Products PLC)Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Capital Trust Broker in difficulty?Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
IS PIRATING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY A BOON OR BANE?Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What Industry Would You Choose to Focus?Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:39 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Should I Stick Around, or Should I Follow Others' Lead?Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:07 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DV-2024 Program: Online RegistrationThu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Disclaimer

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Films - To Watch List

+19
IronArni
eagle
Yin-Yang
Backstage
CK
Rana
rameez
roshana7549
slstock
puliyanam
jiggysaurus
smallville
chutiputha
dhanurrox
Monster
GroundedKestrel
Leon
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
yellow knife
23 posters
Go down
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Films - To Watch List - Page 5 Empty Re: Films - To Watch List

Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:53 pm
planning to watch soon at savoy 3d
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:14 am
Everest 2015

Enjoyed at Savoy 3D

A good movie and the second one I watched on climbing Everest.

In one of Jim Collins books ( I think in Good to Great) he discuss two teams climbing Everest and the two teams are almost similar but the difference is leadership. One team perish the other all members survived..Simple technical changes between the two teams made one to win the other to perish. Slow moving and carrying enough items ( specially oxygen canisters ) saved the surviving team and the book evaluate companies with similar features..

Thanx SLS
Your effort is like climbing Everest with a team.. You want to see everyone survive and reach the zenith..

Films - To Watch List - Page 5 Maxresdefault
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:27 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
The latest film I think was adapted over the Beck Weathers book and never before used audio tapes mostly.

In the other book you mentioned , "Slow moving and carrying enough items ( specially oxygen canisters ) saved the surviving team"

Well actually in this case it was the opposite. Rob Hall got killed mostly because he was trying to help Dave and was not fast enough to get down before D-Time .

In this 1996 sad Everest event( 2015 film) , the Rob Hall died has he was the type to "hold hands" to guide/save everyone.

But even more interesting is the Scott ( opposing company leader) was the type
"you should not climb Everest if you are not upto it". It your risk.

But BOTH DIED.

Btw, glad to see atleast YK understood me a bit better.

yellow knife wrote:
In one of Jim Collins books ( I think in Good to Great) he discuss two teams climbing Everest and the two teams are almost similar but the difference is leadership. One team perish the other all members survived..Simple technical changes between the two teams made one to win the other to perish. Slow moving and carrying enough items ( specially oxygen canisters ) saved the surviving team and the book evaluate companies with similar features..

Thanx SLS
Your effort is like climbing Everest with a team.. You want to see everyone survive and reach the zenith..

Films - To Watch List - Page 5 Maxresdefault
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:31 am
Well its Jim Collins " Great By Choice-Uncertainty, Chaos, and Luck – Why  Some Thrive Despite Them All,
and its based on the same incident where Everest 2015 is based.

Everest 2015

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everest_%282015_film%29

Everest is a 2015 British–American 3D disaster drama and adventure thriller film directed by Baltasar Kormákur and written by William Nicholson and Simon Beaufoy. The film stars Jason Clarke, Josh Brolin, John Hawkes, Robin Wright, Michael Kelly, Sam Worthington, Keira Knightley, Emily Watson, and Jake Gyllenhaal.
The film opened the 72nd Venice International Film Festival on September 2, 2015, and was released theatrically on September 18, 2015.[4] It is based on the real events of the 1996 Mount Everest disaster, and focuses on the survival attempts of two expedition groups, one led by Scott Fischer (Gyllenhaal) and the other by Rob Hall (Clarke)

Jim Collins book

http://blog.optimityadvisors.com/?p=150

compare the actions of a little known production team led by David Breashers, who achieved the incredible goal of shooting an IMAX film on top of Mount Everest, and the calamity of the Everest expedition led by Rob Hall and Scott Fischer, notably chronicled in Jon Krakauer’s book, Into Thin Air
roshana7549

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:37 am
Watch below movie, One of the best movies I ever watched

Seven (sometimes stylized as SE7EN)[3] is a 1995 American neo-noir crime psychological thriller film directed by David Fincher, and stars Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Gwyneth Paltrow, John C. McGinley, R. Lee Ermey and Kevin Spacey. The film was based on a screenplay by Andrew Kevin Walker.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:50 am
But some events as you saw in the movie was different to the book version you mentioned?
It was based on Beck W ( a survior) book if I am not mistaken. ( that were the miracle like thing happened I mentioned before)
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:55 am
yes agree with SLS

Beck W survived to write a book... So he is the other team leader..It his team leadership that Jim Collins disucss
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:57 am
Hmm.. No YK,
Both team leaders died. ( Rob Hall and Scott )

Beck W was participant in Rob Hall team ( not a leader) who survived by a miraculous feat.

Are you sure you were awake during the film ( just kidding)

yellow knife wrote:yes agree with SLS

Beck W survived to write a book... So he is the other team leader..It his team leadership that Jim Collins disucss
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:02 am
ok SLS

.. and anyway I will again watch the movie ...Thanx for the clarification SLS
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:28 am
Ok SLS

I referred the book Great by Choice of Jim Collins. This is the exact quote of page 101

Many People know this 1996 Everest story through Jon Krakauer's book Into Thin Air. : if you haven't yet read Krakauer's book be sure to do so. But also be sure to read DAvid Breashear's superb book High Exposure. Here like Amundsen and Scott , we have a comparison contrast: Two sets of team leaders on the same mountain on the same day, both with burdens of responsibility and business pressures ( one to lead clients to the top for a large fee and the other to complete a multimillion-dollar movie project). , both with tremendous experience -yet only one leads his team to 10X success, achieving the incredible goal of shooting an IMAX film on the top of Everest, and bringing himself and every member of his team safely home.

So there were two teams one lead by Rob Hall and the other by David Breashear. Rob Hall and Fischer were finally in the same team.

Your Quote

In the other book you mentioned , "Slow moving and carrying enough items ( specially oxygen canisters ) saved the surviving team"

Well actually in this case it was the opposite. Rob Hall got killed mostly because he was trying to help Dave and was not fast enough to get down before D-Time .

In this 1996 sad Everest event( 2015 film) , the Rob Hall died has he was the type to "hold hands" to guide/save everyone.

Again let me quote from Great by Choice

Then there was Rob Hall's decision to ignore his turnaround time, not by minutes but by hours, as he waited for client Dough Hansen to reach the summit. ( the " turnaround time" is a time preset by a climbing team by which they commit to begin their descent, regardless of whether they've reached the summit, thus preserving a greater margin of safety for completing their descent in daylight. ) But focusing on these two moments of decision obscures our view and limits our understanding . From a 10X perspective , the most important decisions were made before the teams even got to the mountain, months before, when Breashears sat in Boston planning and preparing.

So one team really planned events months ahead while the other team only when events occur.

Now about oxygen canisters...
======
David Breashears and his team brought enough oxygen canisters for more than one summit bid and enough supplies to stay at Everest for an extra three weeks. Breashears turned around and went down on May 8 because he could go down, wait for a better day ,and still have reserves for another bid. Rob Hall's team in contrast, brought enough oxygen for only one summit bid.
=========
So obvious Rob Hall and the team had " turnaround timing issue" as well as lack of " oxygen canisters" issue and that made the team perish.

SLS

You and I have watched the same movie but I was with a per-arranged mind set based on my readings of the same story in 2012. So definitely there can be areas where we do not agree upon..

This tragedy of Everest was helpful for us investors..

Rob Hall and the team are like traders.. Your important thing is turnaround TIMING. If you fail to sell at the right time you are perished.

The long term investors are not worried about timing. We tend to avoid the uncertainties.

Traders have to take decisions based on technical analysis then and there.. But we the long term investors do enough home work and most of the time away from active market participation..

Now lessons from the Jim Collins Book

1. Build cash reserves and buffers- Oxygen canisters-to prepare for unexpected events and bad luck before they happen

2. Bound risk-Death line risk, asymmetric risk and uncontrollable risk and manage time based risk

3. Zoom out then Zoom in  remaining hyper vigilant to sense changing conditions and respond effectively.

That's what I exactly do in my Never to Sell type portfolio..

Now the final part.

Jim Collins did the research on similar incidents taking two companies and where one win the other perish and conclude do these and you will be great by choice.

But after many years even Build to Last companies collapsed. So he wrote Why the Mighty Fall?
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:41 am
YK,

There is clear confusion here.

As far as the 2015 film goes that was based on Beck Weathers book ( a survior of the real 1996 catastrophe with his hand, fingers nose amputated ) Rob Hall and Scot were on opposing teams.

Rob Hall owned Adventure Consultants company
Scott Fischer was the leader/guide of Mountain Madness company

So they were on opposing companies with opposing strategies.

Before this climb, Rob Hall asked Scott to help him to watch out for each other ( but they were still on opposing companies with different teams)

So I stand by what I said.

Further more I don't recall a David Breashears playing a major role in this 1996 real Event/film.
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:12 am
I am also confused..

I had similar situation earlier...

I read about Eliyas Howe as the innovator of sewing machine..in Severn Secrets of Success..it says Eliyas Howe was the innovator and not a good marketer...So he attended his wife funeral wearing borrowed clothes and he died as a beggar...

But recently when I read Power Inc... I found Issac Singer was the innovator of sewing machine but actually he copied from Elias Howe...Later Elias Howe sued against Issac Singer and got enough money... So Eliyas Howe cannot die as a beggar...

Anyway its good to have this kind of discussions

Neither you nor I are eye witness of the Everest tragedy and diffent books on the same incident are based on different perspective...

Thanx for your time spent on this matter

Anyway before I watch the movie....again....

What is the incident where science fails to explain..

For others

this is a nice movie and can enjoy at Savoy 3D .. tickets Rs 530 each...but if you have Standard Chartered credit cards you will get one for one free offer along with two pop corns...
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:40 am
Let me sort out your confusion. I googled .

David Breashears was the first American to reach the summit of Mount Everest more than once ( in 1985).

* He also co-produced the acclaimed IMAX film Everest (1998) which talked about the 1996 disaster.

* Far as I can tell, he again climbed Everest in 1997 ( 1 year after the real disaster) to make the PBS program "Everest: The Death Zone (1998)"

In that journey he saw Scott body. But not anyone else.

" The mountain shimmered under the beam of a full moon. Not needing my headlamp, I climbed following my shadow cast on the snow. During the post-monsoon season following the disaster of 1996, foul weather had prevented any expeditions from going above the South Col. That meant we were among the first teams to revisit the final slopes in 1997.

Except for Scott's body, still wrapped with a pack and rope the way Anatoli had left him, the summit slopes were mercifully free of the tragedy. When we reached the South Summit, Rob had disappeared from sight, shrouded by a tall drift formed around his body. Andy Harris and Doug Hansen may lie near him, though we'll probably never know."

Summary :

David as far as I can tell was not part of the 1996 event teams of Adventure consultants and Mountain Madness.
But he contributed to 1996 event as a filmmaker, producer and director. He climbed Everest again in 1997.
But however , so some reason , in this 2015 film, David character as a " filmmaker /documentary maker" was added at the last minute ( played by Micah Hauptman)

Hope it clears your confusion.

ps :

1) I spent time as I am interested and moved by this Event/ Film.
2) Watch the film again, Watch how Beck W survived/returned to camp. That what science cannot explain.

Last edited by slstock on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:50 am
Thanx SLS

Yes the black nosed guy returning to camp and helicopter lifted back to home... what saved him? may be love (to live...)

I have earlier watched another Everest mount climbing movie earlier.. Somewhat similar... but its from a team where one member wants to leave a tiger tooth necklace on mountain top in memory of another mountain climbing pal..in that movie the leader is more strict..

anyway lets stop on this never ending discussion on mount everest...
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:59 am
Why stop, why never ending , when there is a confusion that can be solved easily.

Mystery solved why David character was included in the film at the last minute!

Actually David B was also part of the 1996 climb but as a separate team that was making a film for IMAX. He was Not part of the disaster teams of Adventure Consultants - Rob Hall leader, and Mountain Madness - Scott Fischer Leader , where both died.

Below are the different teams that climbed Everest in 1996 may.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/everest/etc/facts.html

The 2015 film is based around 2 groups : Adventure Consultants and Mountain Madness ( where the deaths of leaders occurred )

All clear now?

EVERYONE : Watch EVEREST 2015 in 3D/IMAX if you can. It will show some amazing 3D cinematography on Everest region and it's climb ( place where we all will not visit probably in our life). Breathtaking. And the real life disaster story so touching and may rethink your view on life.
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:25 am
ok

thanx

all clear now

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:38 pm
Everest 1953 - The epic story of the first ascent by Mick Conefrey is a nice book and I am sure YK would be interested (if not already done so) in reading. Very Happy

Read more.

Last edited by කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා on Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:45 pm
hey Hey you guys are throwing me too many books... At the moment I am reading How Asia Works... Next will be Mosad... then I have to read Jiggys recommendation Civilization West and Rest...
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:57 pm
Looks like you forgot "Shantaram".  Shocked  Very Happy
yellow knife wrote:hey Hey you guys are throwing me too many books... At the moment I am reading How Asia Works... Next will be Mosad... then I have to read Jiggys recommendation Civilization West and Rest...
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:59 pm
yeah that is on my pending list...( not too urgent list)

Nothing is ever forgotten Very Happy
chutiputha
chutiputha
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:20 pm
Let's watch a love story Smile I watched last Sunday Smile

Films - To Watch List - Page 5 Katti-batti
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:22 am
General Park Chun Hee (Korea)  and Deng Xiaoping of China had many things equal . One is both dictators had their learning from taking part in massive military operations.

They both sent young students to US. This story is about a Chinese Ballet Dancer who happened to be a gainer of cultural exchange.

Films - To Watch List - Page 5 9780670073481
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:47 am
Its really worthy if you can understand Tamil and Sinhala both when you are living in Sri Lanka.

This is the first Tamil movie I add..

Sivaji... Its about Havala, Undiayal, Money Laundering etc in India

Films - To Watch List - Page 5 2Q==
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:35 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
The story of Koreans rising from Rags to Riches with in our life time.

Films - To Watch List - Page 5 9k=
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:50 pm
Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)
Putin has shown his genuine desire to get rid of ISIS and America has shown its half-hear ted effort to save its own citizens and the loyal countries from the same monster.

In this back drop we came to know that about 4000 former Russian state citizens are being trained by ISIS.

Time to watch the historical film of Kazakaztan...

Films - To Watch List - Page 5 10667159-1359982077-294726
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum