The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
When Will It Be Safe To Invest In The Stock Market Again?Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Dividend AnnouncementsWed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
MAINTENANCE NOTICE / නඩත්තු දැනුම්දීමThu Apr 06, 2023 3:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 amyellow knife
The Korean Way !Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
In the Meantime Within Our Shores! Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What is Known as Dementia?Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
THE LANKA HOSPITALS CORPORATION PLC (LHCL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Equinox ( වසන්ත විෂුවය ) !Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMB.N0000 (Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
REXP.N0000 (Richard Pieris Exports PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
RICH.N0000 (Richard Pieris and Company PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Do You Have Computer Vision Syndrome?Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
LAXAPANA BATTERIES PLC (LITE.N0000)Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What a Bank Run ?Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTERWed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pmkatesmith1304
GLAS.N0000 (Piramal Glass Ceylon PLC)Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Cboe Volatility Index Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AHPL.N0000Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
TJL.N0000 (Tee Jey Lanka PLC.)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CTBL.N0000 ( CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC (COMD. N.0000))Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:43 pmyellow knife
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CSD.N0000 (Seylan Developments PLC)Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 amyellow knife
PLC.N0000 (People's Leasing and Finance PLC) Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Bakery Products ?Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
NTB.N0000 (Nations Trust Bank PLC)Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Going South Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
When Seagulls Follow the TrawlerThu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Re-activatingSat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
APLA.N0000 (ACL Plastics PLC)Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AVOID FALLING INTO ALLURING WEEKEND FAMILY PACKAGES.Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Banks, Finance & Insurance Sector ChartTue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
VPEL.N0000 (Vallibel Power Erathna PLC)Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DEADLY COCKTAIL OF ISLAND MENTALITY AND PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER MIX.Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
WATA - WatawalaSat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
KFP.N0000(Keels Food Products PLC)Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Capital Trust Broker in difficulty?Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
IS PIRATING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY A BOON OR BANE?Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What Industry Would You Choose to Focus?Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:39 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Should I Stick Around, or Should I Follow Others' Lead?Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:07 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DV-2024 Program: Online RegistrationThu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Tile - SnapshotWed Sep 28, 2022 12:45 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Disclaimer

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Films - To Watch List

+19
IronArni
eagle
Yin-Yang
Backstage
CK
Rana
rameez
roshana7549
slstock
puliyanam
jiggysaurus
smallville
chutiputha
dhanurrox
Monster
GroundedKestrel
Leon
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
yellow knife
23 posters
Go down
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Films - To Watch List - Page 7 Empty Re: Films - To Watch List

Tue May 31, 2016 5:15 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
Thanks BS. It's a very interesting story. But I think we have gone deep enough on personal experiences.

It seems, as with many other aspects of the society, money is a crucial factor behind making a film, specially a good one. Perhaps the market in Sri Lanka is not big enough to justify the commercial success of an 'expensive' film. May be that's a big reason why we don't see that dedication and commitment go into quality film making in this country.

Wonder if 'animation' is cost effective compared to using real actors so that it will create some business case for the effort.

What numbers are we talking?

If we can make 10 cinema halls house full for 100 days, I guess the total viewers will be like 1Mn.
Averaging Rs 100/- per head. The total revenue will be like Rs 100 Mn. I don't know the admin costs but considering a 50% GP. What we can spend is less than Rs 50 Mn. I am sure, international films spend that much to produce just 5 minutes of a film.
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue May 31, 2016 5:53 pm
charith666lk wrote:
Backstage wrote:
charith666lk wrote:YK, have you seen the film " One flew over cukoo's nest". Great one. It has dominated the 1976 academy awards,Golden globe and BAFTA with major awards.

I was barely 14 years old, I went and saw this at the Regal Cinema twice. I had read the book a year before and was fascinated with the film version. Jack Nicholson gave a stellar performance, but Louise Fletcher gave a chilling portrayal as the wicked head nurse with minimum facial expression, in a way that I never imagined reading the book. I cried at the end both times.

I later found out that the author Ken Keysey in the early 60's  had volunteered at a mental hospital when they were experimenting with LSD. When he tried tell the psychiatrist about what he was perceiving in an altered state of consciousness, the doctors ignored him and wrote off what he was trying to say as hallucinations. During this time at the hospital he wrote "Cuckoo's nest" which became a best seller. Keysey went on to become the leader of a group called the "merry pranksters" who did mass LSD experiments that became a part of the sixties counter culture core.  It is well documented in the book " The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test" by Tom Wolf. Allan Ginsburg,Jack Kerouac, Janis Joplin, Jerry Garcia, Timothy Leary are all in the thick of it. Now I am going off topic so....
BS you had a excellent understanding of life as a 14 yr teenager.. What an amazing and unexpected ending..
I found this article in internet and worth to read it.
15 Things You Might Not Know About ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’

Thanks Charith that was really interesting.
CK
CK

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:23 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Backstage how about the film "Perfume". I think it's a German film and one of my favorites.
eagle

Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:34 am
charith666lk wrote:Backstage how about the film "Perfume". I think it's a German film and one of my favorites.

ya perfume is a must watch movie..
super dooper film
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Films - To Watch List - Page 7 Empty Prison Escapees Joked About 'Shawshank Redemption

Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:25 am
As they chipped away at a wall inside a tunnel of the Clinton Correctional Facility last spring, David Sweat and Richard Matt had the Hollywood movie "The Shawshank Redemption" on their minds.

The film tells the story of convicted murderer Andy Dufresne, who spends nearly two decades using a rock hammer to dig a tunnel out of his cell. The parallels were not lost on Sweat and Matt, who were trying to make their own escape.

Read more
CK
CK

Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:31 am
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:As they chipped away at a wall inside a tunnel of the Clinton Correctional Facility last spring, David Sweat and Richard Matt had the Hollywood movie "The Shawshank Redemption" on their minds.

The film tells the story of convicted murderer Andy Dufresne, who spends nearly two decades using a rock hammer to dig a tunnel out of his cell. The parallels were not lost on Sweat and Matt, who were trying to make their own escape.

Read more

Thanks kith. " Shawshank Redemption" is a super film. Actually it is the no.1 film in the all time hit list in IMDb ratings. Good film to watch boys.. Very Happy
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:59 pm
CK wrote:Backstage how about the film "Perfume". I think it's a German film and one of my favorites.

Ck is aptly interested in perfume. Smile

I think I saw this way back, isnt it about this guy who tries to distill the perfect smell with human ingredients ?
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:13 pm
CK wrote:
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:As they chipped away at a wall inside a tunnel of the Clinton Correctional Facility last spring, David Sweat and Richard Matt had the Hollywood movie "The Shawshank Redemption" on their minds.

Read more

Thanks kith. " Shawshank Redemption" is a super film. Actually it is the no.1 film in the all time hit list in IMDb ratings. Good film to watch boys.. Very Happy

Shawshank Redemption has been the biggest selling Video then DVD for a very long time. It is a very well produced/crafted film, a story well told and acted. I think it has a lot of ingredients that makes a film wholesome to watch, leaving the viewer "well fed" so as to speak. But I wouldn't categorize it among the best made.( which usually don't make it to the most viewed) Most of the truly great directors and their films are known only by film buffs, ie; Kurosawa, Fassbinder,Bertolucci, Satyaajit Ray,Herzog....
CK
CK

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:43 pm
Backstage wrote:
CK wrote:Backstage how about the film "Perfume". I think it's a German film and one of my favorites.

Ck is aptly interested in perfume. Smile

I think I saw this way back, isnt it about this guy who tries to distill the perfect smell with human ingredients ?
yes boss bounce
CK
CK

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:48 pm
Backstage wrote:
CK wrote:

Read more

Shawshank Redemption has been the biggest selling Video then DVD for a very long time. It is a very well produced/crafted film, a story well told and acted. I think it has a lot of ingredients that makes a film wholesome to watch, leaving the viewer "well fed" so as to speak. But I wouldn't categorize it among the best made.( which usually don't make it to the most viewed) Most of the truly great directors and their films are known only by film buffs, ie; Kurosawa, Fassbinder,Bertolucci, Satyaajit Ray,Herzog....

kurosawa's seven samurai. I watched it. I think it's over 3 hours. But you won't feel the time when you watching this. I downloaded it from a torrent site with english subs.
IronArni

Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:13 pm
Has anybode watched Shame? I adore it
CK
CK

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:15 am
Enemy at the Gates (2001)

Storyline
In World War II, the fall of Stalingrad will mean the collapse of the whole country. The Germans and Russians are fighting over every block, leaving only ruins behind. The Russian sniper Vassili Zaitsev stalks the Germans, taking them out one by one, thus hurting the morale of the German troops. The political officer Danilov leads him on, publishing his efforts to give his countrymen some hope. But Vassili eventually start to feel that he can not live up to the expectations on him. He and Danilov fall in love with the same girl, Tanya, a female soldier. From Germany comes the master sniper König to put an end to the extraordinary skilled Russian sniper.

This is a good film which is inspired by true events.
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:24 am
Films - To Watch List - Page 7 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgIOLySu-K7ermIy9yW4P424u7Fr6keVrq9fasXuBaYdtYRYKy

How Hitler became so powerful.....

Yet I like the novel of Sugathapala De Silva

Films - To Watch List - Page 7 2Q==
CK
CK

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:28 am
YK do you have a online copy of this book?
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:34 am
CK... I only read physical books where I can re refer, keep notes...( we belong to old generation...)
CK
CK

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:38 am
yellow knife wrote:CK... I only read physical books where I can re refer, keep notes...( we belong to old generation...)
I like that. Most of the time I also read the physical books. It's really relaxing the mind rather than reading it in a tab or lap.
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:55 am
Mohenjo Daro is a movie released on 12th August 2016

It talks about what modern day politics which is almost similar to what happened in an earlier Civilization of 2016 B.C.

AS movie starts it says before Christ, Before Budddha, and 2016 B.C shown.

Thus before man created Almighty God and popularized by Commander Constantinople, man had created myriads of Gods..and Goddesses...

Roman Empire initially was against Monotheism or believing in one Individual Almighty God as it would cause religion based wars. When you have a portfolio of gods you can easily add another without a war.

This story of earlier North West Indian civilization is based on Polytheism based era.

Man has been testing senate system and emperor system. It is often within the senate a Senior Senate member emerge. Very naturally that causes power struggle where the most greedy gets the power.

Once established power, the ruler want to transfer the power to his blood line which is often confronted  by others. To end the Family who comes forward is someone of another competing blood line.

This film is now shown in Savoy, Concord etc and worth watching.

Films - To Watch List - Page 7 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR23TNk6rUvh0MrSbAHfS0Xql33m_2c5ctTzEUF2J07dEr10bgY
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:58 pm
https://youtu.be/Nc48uca-bOw
CK
CK

Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:33 pm
Child's Play (1988)

Storyline

When Charles Lee Ray needs to get quick escape from cop Mike Norris, he takes his soul and buries it into playful, seemingly good guy doll Chucky. Little does he know a little boy by the name of Andy Barclay will be the new owner of him soon-to-come. Charles confides in Andy while he commits numerous murders. Once the adults accept Andy's story as truth, it's too late
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:10 pm
In a country where Pizza is delivered in less than 30 minutes but an ambulance to pick a patient will not arrive until his death, its better to use a scooter as an ambulance..

Such a country providing ambulance for another country is for sheer  geo-political interests...

Anyway this 3 Idiots is one of the best movies of bollywood.

Films - To Watch List - Page 7 Hqdefault
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:47 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
I have seen many good writers of this forum as else where say that now they enjoy the freedom of expression .

I doubt...

Freedom of expression is often found in Constitutions and in almost in every nation , no where else.

At the same time it is and was always there...During the era of Premadasa many accused there was no freedom of expression. Yet in a massive cut out of him someone pasted " වියරු මිනිසා "... During Madam CBKs era there were enough political tabloids that wrote about Whisky Madam.. During MR era there were enough shared posts on government in FB. Even now we enjoy that freedom.

The scissor was always on National Media.. Nisi Baladaria or Censor was appointed by JRJ, Premadasa and the custom continued. I have read Divaina Paper with blank texts in between with a seal බලදරයා විසින් කපා හරින ලදී .. Once the balloons of Winnie Hettigoda's cartoon consisted only empty balloons in the Halt.

PRRA, Yellow Cats, White Vans, gang of Chains, were always there at the later part of every era..

Just enjoy the movie...

Films - To Watch List - Page 7 Diane-lane-bryan-cranston-helen-mirren-trumbo-poster-02-600x350
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:26 pm
Only good thing I remember with JRJ is that whenever he visited his old school, we used to get a holiday the following week.

Due to some mysterious reason, regardless of being one of our old boys, I had a strong dislike and hatred towards him.

Now, YK, you have refreshed my memory why it is so. He was the one who ushered in most of the poisonous attributes inherited by our society today.

JRJ was a mix of a cunning witch, an old clown and a coward fox.

His follower was worse; a ruthless, psychologically disordered show-offer who thought he was the wisest & mightiest emperor in the world.

Comped to them, it look, their nephew and son are doing much less harm to the society.
yaka

Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:35 pm
Films - To Watch List - Page 7 Prestige
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:47 am
Films - To Watch List - Page 7 Hqdefault

Fall of Ming Dynasty....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgRMteY-o0k

Films - To Watch List - Page 7 Slide_5

The atypical pneumonia (SARS) and avian flu have brought tremendous threaten to human's healthy. Dayuan Yin have been created by Wu Youke,a specialist of Chinese medicine,lived in the Ming Dynasty,have been written Discussing of Plague,took energetic preventive and therapeutic effect during resisted SARS. It advocated "following the prognosis of a disease" and it exceeding important to strengthen research power in Chinese medical fever diseases caused by exogenous pathogenic factor to prevention and cure zymotic. Scientific researcher of Chinese medical science should find the effective prescription to prevention and cure avian flu on the basis of experience of SARS' prevention and cure as soon as possible.
yaka

Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:34 pm
I tried to locate this thread in search but couldn't. why is that? usually a single word should give a match but all my attempt were failed
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum