The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans
The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
Dividend AnnouncementsTue Aug 04, 2020 5:21 pmRana
Gota's EraTue Aug 04, 2020 8:49 amyellow knife
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:37 amNIRMALSG
JKH.N0000Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:48 amThe Invisible
AIA InsuranceTue Jul 28, 2020 8:54 amThe Invisible
CCS.N0000 ( Ceylon Cold Stores)Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:29 pmSri
What to AnalyseFri Jul 24, 2020 9:27 amchutiputha
Happy BirthdayFri Jul 24, 2020 9:18 amchutiputha
AEL Technical AnalysisWed Jul 22, 2020 10:17 amBackstage
HAYC - HaycarbWed Jul 22, 2020 5:57 amserene
Trading Journal Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:09 amsmallville
SLTL.NThu Jul 16, 2020 9:48 amThe Invisible
Films - To Watch ListFri Jul 10, 2020 8:33 amyellow knife
Rajgama Heroes !Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:05 pmserene
LIOC.N0000 (Lanka IOC PLC)Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:00 amLSE
CFVF - First CapitalSat Jun 27, 2020 10:22 pmHUNTER
RCL - Royal CeramicsSat Jun 27, 2020 4:02 amdesh87
LOLC HoldingsMon Jun 22, 2020 3:40 pmRajapaksap
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:08 pmdakzsl
Disclaimer


Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Go down
nihal123
nihal123
Top contributor
Top contributor
Posts : 6327
Join date : 2014-02-24
Age : 54
Location : Waga

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:56 pm
Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)
Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

1.The 52 Week Range: Make sure the stock is trading closer to the 52 week low than the high and also has upward momentum.

2.Volume: Average volume should be around 50,000.

3.Price/Earnings Ratio: The PE ratio should be somewhere between 1.0x and 10.0x.

4.EPS and CPS: Earnings and cash flow per share should both be positive with positive growth over each quarter.

5.Market Cap: There is no specific market cap to look for, just be aware of the risk/reward trade off of each size and their stability as well. (Personally, all of my highest returns have come from mid caps.)

6.Beta (Volatility): Beta is much like the market cap, in that there is no specific beta to look for. It just depends on risk tolerance. However, if you have a longer time horizon to invest, I would recommend a higher beta and vice versa.

7.Dividends: Look for stocks that offer dividends. Dividends are usually, but not always, a sign of good financial health.

8.Open Interest on Options Chains: Look at the open interest on options chains for a specific stock to see how many people are planning on buying and selling and at what price. This basically serves as an opinion poll on the stock’s expected performance.

9.Insider Activity: Always consider the amount of shares CEOs and other executives are buying and selling, to get an accurate picture of what is happening on the inside.

10.News: It may be a good idea to avoid stocks that are constantly in the news. Stock prices will often reflect the investors’ perception of the stock, which is usually not an accurate evaluation of the underlying company. The dot com bubble in the 90’s is a perfect example.

for more-- https://toughnickel.com/personal-finance/10-Factors-to-Consider-When-Selecting-a-Stock
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang
Posts : 1293
Join date : 2016-03-12

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:51 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
I like this post.

Yes, it may work sometimes.

Interestingly,
Going for the complete opposites also will work sometimes.

Anyone think these quick lists will work for you or has worked in the past ???

Has anyone tried in the first place ??




CK
CK
Active Member
Active Member
Posts : 1392
Join date : 2015-11-01

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:37 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Yin-Yang wrote:

Interestingly,
Going for the complete opposites also will work sometimes.


Yes. Sometimes loss making shares hv given me more capital gain than strong shares. Why's that?
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang
Posts : 1293
Join date : 2016-03-12

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:47 am
Any guesses why?

+++++++

If a share worths more than its market price, why hasn't it already gone up?

If a share is crap, why is it still being traded at high price?
CK
CK
Active Member
Active Member
Posts : 1392
Join date : 2015-11-01

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:05 am
I don't have any experience in foreign stock markets. Can someone explain whether in those stock markets, can we see these kind of behaviors?
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang
Posts : 1293
Join date : 2016-03-12

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:41 am
What market have you experience in mate?

Vehicle markets?

What are the differences between Daihatsu Terios and Toyota Rush; and what are the price differences in Sri lanka ?

Politics?

Which government worths more, American or Sri Lankan; who is more debited of the two?

CK
CK
Active Member
Active Member
Posts : 1392
Join date : 2015-11-01

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:53 am
Yin-Yang wrote:What market have you experience in mate?

Vehicle markets?

What are the differences between Daihatsu Terios and Toyota Rush; and what are the price differences in Sri lanka ?

Politics?

Which government worths more, American or Sri Lankan; who is more debited of the two?

NO EXPERIENCE IN FOREIGN MARKET OF ANY . GOT IT? Very Happy
so if you have experience in foreign stock markets, answer my original question. Rolling Eyes
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang
Posts : 1293
Join date : 2016-03-12

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:53 am
Foreign or local, all those parameter are there to justify the price.
Not the price to justify them.
CK
CK
Active Member
Active Member
Posts : 1392
Join date : 2015-11-01

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:03 pm
Yin-Yang wrote:Foreign or local, all those parameter are there to justify the price.
Not the price to justify them.
YY can you explain this little bit?
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang
Posts : 1293
Join date : 2016-03-12

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:11 pm
CK wrote:
Yin-Yang wrote:Foreign or local, all those parameter are there to justify the price.
Not the price to justify them.
YY can you explain this little bit?

Given the same parameters, would you like to pay a higher price for a BMW against a Micro car ?

Given the same design and look, would you pay higher for a Gold coin against a Silver coin?

Why?
CK
CK
Active Member
Active Member
Posts : 1392
Join date : 2015-11-01

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:12 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Yin-Yang wrote:
CK wrote:
Yin-Yang wrote:Foreign or local, all those parameter are there to justify the price.
Not the price to justify them.
YY can you explain this little bit?

Given the same parameters, would you like to pay a higher price for a BMW against a Micro car ?

Given the same design and look, would you pay higher for a Gold coin against a Silver coin?

Why?
How can we relate this to stocks? Why bli going higher PE , when higher devidend yield lfin trading in lower PE?
xmart
xmart
Top contributor
Top contributor
Posts : 728
Join date : 2015-01-17

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:13 am
CK asked valid questions from master YY to clarify his doubts. why shoot counter questions at him?

it would be gentle to answer his valid questions!

YY wrote:Given the same parameters, would you like to pay a higher price for a BMW against a Micro car ?

Given the same design and look, would you pay higher for a Gold coin against a Silver coin?

Why?

would you pay higher price for gold over silver, YY? if so, why? if not, again why?

Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang
Posts : 1293
Join date : 2016-03-12

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:48 am
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
Gents,

Stock market is a live Eco-system, not a dead machine.

There are 3 types of living beings here; Grass eaters, Predators and Scavengers.

Grass eaters are big herds searching for green grass.
Predators are ruthless killers awaiting for eaters to come near the grass.
Scavengers follow predators and feed on remaining of grass eaters.


++++++++++

Shoeshine boys aka general public are made to believe that the market is driven by various types of parameters, be it related to company performance, macro economic trends, political decisions, crowd behavior ++.

But the markets are driven and controlled by big players.

In the first place, the very reason for markets to exists is to serve big players' needs.
Markets are not created for you and me to earn money; but to make a platform for a big player to collect money from the public while keeping the business control to himself.

Do you boys think that; if a business is earning super profits, the owner will decide to list that in a public exchange?

No boys, only when the company has come to end of its growth and only when the future looks bleak; or if someone is in need of some quick cash, the owner would decide to list the company in the stock exchange.

+++++++

And, after listing also, the market is driven by big players.

Imagine the situation where, a big player wants to buy a big chunk of a listed company.

Would he just jump in to the market and buy that?
Nah!
Instead, he would wait; wait until the company report some bad performance, report some losses, wait for some bad news to appear, wait for the General Public to get frustrated about the company, wait for all negative predictions, wait until all shoeshines boys to start selling.

That time, he would start his actions; he would let all SS boys to sell to him. Once there are no sellers to go beyond a limit, what would he do? Then he would start buying the remaining shares in the market.

At that time, all predictions start to fall apart, All P/E s get stuck in the thoughts of predictors. The SS boys cry of manipulations.

+++++++

What if some big player want to dump a big chunk in the market? Would he just start selling?
Nah!

It would drive the market price down and the big player would incur losses.

Instead, he would slowly wait until the company generate some sexy reports, some heavenly news to appear, some fantastic shoeshine predictions to be generated, and all general public to go after the company shares in a big mad rush.

That time, he would slowly dispose his shares to the buyers.
Once there are no more buyers beyond a certain level, he would start just selling to whatever buyers in the market. That time, the market price would fall down, shattering all shiny predictions.
Again the P/E s get stuck in the other end of the thought of the predictors.

+++++++

Now, some shoeshine boys might come out and say "the markets cannot be controlled by any party for a long period".
Of course, who wants to control the market once his need is full filled?

+++++++++
Now,

Who else can benefit from the market apart from big players?

There are scavengers my friends.
The scavengers go behind big players and feed themselves of some left overs by big players.

General public have two parties; one party obsessed with historical data, the other party crave for future performances. Both will be ultimate losers.

The big players and opportunistic scavengers, who live in the present moment will be the momentary beneficiaries.

+++++++

I would not buy Gold nor Silver as a commodity since I cannot consume them. But might consider as a trading mechanism.

If I were a big player of Gold, I would fund a research to prove that wearing Gold is the single biggest cause behind all types of cancer.





Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor
Posts : 3775
Join date : 2014-02-24

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:05 am
At last, The Oracle of Forumside speakes! cheers

And it all makes sense.(seriously)

Chinwi and Stumpy both were of the opinion of Companies having their best profits before listing. They I believe are trying to enter into companies (or form their own) at that stage of growth.
Being a lazy bugger I am aspiring to scavenge successfully. ( not for too long though).
CK
CK
Active Member
Active Member
Posts : 1392
Join date : 2015-11-01

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:21 am
Good reading YY. It's too good. So I will read it several times.
xmart
xmart
Top contributor
Top contributor
Posts : 728
Join date : 2015-01-17

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:32 pm
thanks YY, at last Smile

anyway, mind if i ask you a question?

how big is "big player"? what you suggesting is "market is just an illusion of free will" to cater big players to eat small investors. then why small investors invest in stocks, bonds, commodities etc?

have none of investor being success ever before?

you direct your thought to be an entrepreneur instead of an investor, am i right? its a way to become a "big player". but are there any other ways to become a big player?

thanks

Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor
Posts : 3775
Join date : 2014-02-24

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:46 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Well if you put it under the microscope, various questions will appear. There are companies in the CSE that have seen phenomenal growth. What YY sez appears that those may be the anomaly and not the norm. What he seems to say to the general forum membership is to "scavenge " mindfully, aware of market reality.
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang
Posts : 1293
Join date : 2016-03-12

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:47 pm
xmart wrote:thanks YY, at last Smile

anyway, mind if i ask you a question?

how big is "big player"? what you suggesting is "market is just an illusion of free will" to cater big players to eat small investors. then why small investors invest in stocks, bonds, commodities etc?

have none of investor being success ever before?

you direct your thought to be an entrepreneur instead of an investor, am i right? its a way to become a "big player". but are there any other ways to become a big player?

thanks



Can a jackpot lottery generate millionaires?

Has jackpot lottery been created to generate millionaires?

Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang
Posts : 1293
Join date : 2016-03-12

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:25 pm
Backstage wrote:Well if you put it under the microscope, various questions will appear. There are companies in the CSE that have seen phenomenal growth. What YY sez appears that those may be the anomaly and not the norm. What he seems to say to the general forum membership is to "scavenge " mindfully, aware of market reality.

That was a good summary.
nihal123
nihal123
Top contributor
Top contributor
Posts : 6327
Join date : 2014-02-24
Age : 54
Location : Waga

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:21 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
nihal123 wrote:Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

1.The 52 Week Range: Make sure the stock is trading closer to the 52 week low than the high and also has upward momentum.

2.Volume: Average volume should be around 50,000.

3.Price/Earnings Ratio: The PE ratio should be somewhere between 1.0x and 10.0x.

4.EPS and CPS: Earnings and cash flow per share should both be positive with positive growth over each quarter.

5.Market Cap: There is no specific market cap to look for, just be aware of the risk/reward trade off of each size and their stability as well. (Personally, all of my highest returns have come from mid caps.)

6.Beta (Volatility): Beta is much like the market cap, in that there is no specific beta to look for. It just depends on risk tolerance. However, if you have a longer time horizon to invest, I would recommend a higher beta and vice versa.

7.Dividends: Look for stocks that offer dividends. Dividends are usually, but not always, a sign of good financial health.

8.Open Interest on Options Chains: Look at the open interest on options chains for a specific stock to see how many people are planning on buying and selling and at what price. This basically serves as an opinion poll on the stock’s expected performance.

9.Insider Activity: Always consider the amount of shares CEOs and other executives are buying and selling, to get an accurate picture of what is happening on the inside.

10.News: It may be a good idea to avoid stocks that are constantly in the news. Stock prices will often reflect the investors’ perception of the stock, which is usually not an accurate evaluation of the underlying company. The dot com bubble in the 90’s is a perfect example.

for more-- https://toughnickel.com/personal-finance/10-Factors-to-Consider-When-Selecting-a-Stock

This file from my Direct FN History Analyzer

1 These all stocks are over -20% change the price.

2 The stocks are trading closer to the 52 week low or 52 week low

3 I took ASI down tend start from 18-04-2018---6492.06

From Date 18-04-2018--21-06-2018

Symbol-----Start Price   End Price   Net Chg.   % Change     High      Low
 
TKYO.N0-------57.70----36.50…....-22.20……..-36.74------58.60--- 36.50

MAL.N0---------9.80-----6.80……....-3.00 ……..-30.61------10.20--- 6.50

LDEV.N0--------7.70-----5.30……….-2.30……...-29.87--------7.80--- 5.30

MAL.X0---------8.50-----5.80……...-2.50……...-29.41--------8.90--- 5.10

TKYO.X0-------47.00---34.70……..-13.50……..-28.72-------47.90--- 32.50

BRWN.N0------70.00---49.00….....20.10……..-28.71-------74.00--- 49.90

CIND.N0-------40.00---31.20….....-8.80……...-22.00-------40.00--- 27.00

APLA.N0------109.20---91.90……..-23.10……..-21.15------117.30---86.10

CFT.N0----------4.90----3.80……...-1.00……...-20.41---------5.30---3.80

What  do you think about these stocks ?
CK
CK
Active Member
Active Member
Posts : 1392
Join date : 2015-11-01

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:43 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Thanks nihal. Good work. The only share I would like to buy from above list is tokyo, considering long term growth potential.
avatar
pjrngroup
Posts : 430
Join date : 2015-11-01

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:40 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
I would choose Tokyo and cind from the list . Thanks Nihal for bringing up this thread. I have not come across this thread earlier.
spw19721
spw19721
Active Member
Active Member
Posts : 680
Join date : 2015-08-22

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:04 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
CIND suits my appetite. REXP would be handy too...
nihal123
nihal123
Top contributor
Top contributor
Posts : 6327
Join date : 2014-02-24
Age : 54
Location : Waga

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:40 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Symbol-----Start Price End Price Net Chg. % Change High Low

TKYO.N0-------57.70----36.50…....-22.20……..-36.74------58.60--- 36.50

මේ මුදලට ගත්තොත් ඇත්තටම වෙන්නේ---

ආයොජනය =36.50

අපේක්‍ෂිත ලාභය =22.20

මුලු ලාභය % =22.20 x 100 =60.82 %
--------------36.50

අද මේ මුදල වෙනස් ඈ......

Ethical Trader
Ethical Trader
Top contributor
Top contributor
Posts : 5567
Join date : 2014-02-28

Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock Empty Re: Quick Checklist for Selecting a Stock

on Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:13 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Thanks.
Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum