The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
CCS.N0000 ( Ceylon Cold Stores)Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:31 amHawk Eye
When Will It Be Safe To Invest In The Stock Market Again?Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Dividend AnnouncementsWed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
MAINTENANCE NOTICE / නඩත්තු දැනුම්දීමThu Apr 06, 2023 3:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 amyellow knife
The Korean Way !Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
In the Meantime Within Our Shores! Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What is Known as Dementia?Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
THE LANKA HOSPITALS CORPORATION PLC (LHCL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Equinox ( වසන්ත විෂුවය ) !Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMB.N0000 (Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
REXP.N0000 (Richard Pieris Exports PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
RICH.N0000 (Richard Pieris and Company PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Do You Have Computer Vision Syndrome?Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
LAXAPANA BATTERIES PLC (LITE.N0000)Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What a Bank Run ?Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTERWed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pmkatesmith1304
GLAS.N0000 (Piramal Glass Ceylon PLC)Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Cboe Volatility Index Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AHPL.N0000Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
TJL.N0000 (Tee Jey Lanka PLC.)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CTBL.N0000 ( CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC (COMD. N.0000))Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:43 pmyellow knife
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CSD.N0000 (Seylan Developments PLC)Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 amyellow knife
PLC.N0000 (People's Leasing and Finance PLC) Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Bakery Products ?Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
NTB.N0000 (Nations Trust Bank PLC)Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Going South Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
When Seagulls Follow the TrawlerThu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Re-activatingSat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
APLA.N0000 (ACL Plastics PLC)Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AVOID FALLING INTO ALLURING WEEKEND FAMILY PACKAGES.Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Banks, Finance & Insurance Sector ChartTue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
VPEL.N0000 (Vallibel Power Erathna PLC)Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DEADLY COCKTAIL OF ISLAND MENTALITY AND PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER MIX.Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
WATA - WatawalaSat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
KFP.N0000(Keels Food Products PLC)Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Capital Trust Broker in difficulty?Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
IS PIRATING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY A BOON OR BANE?Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What Industry Would You Choose to Focus?Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:39 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Should I Stick Around, or Should I Follow Others' Lead?Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:07 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DV-2024 Program: Online RegistrationThu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Disclaimer

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Go down
AjithR
AjithR

Colombo: A permanent home Empty Colombo: A permanent home

Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:09 pm
Message reputation : 100% (5 votes)
It is July 2000, and even though I am flying from London to Colombo to be with my father, who is on his deathbed, I have received countless lists of things to bring back. I say no, which is acceptable, because even though my family home is in Colombo, I am not Sri Lankan. If I was, I would have obliged. That is what Sri Lankans do. They oblige. I discover this 11 years later, when I marry a Sri Lankan and return from our honeymoon with the following items for her family and friends: four bottles of Nando’s sauces, a blender, a rice cooker, a speaker, some heavy-duty sticky tape and a car bumper.

Colombo feels the same as when I left to work in London two years earlier. Everyone looks content, but no one rushes; like an athlete who could be the best in the world if she paid more attention to detail. There is a finishing line, but the war keeps pushing it further away, so people are happy to wait and see what happens. Yet the city never sleeps, except at government offices, where it never wakes. There is a buzz of expectation. What could it be for? To me, Colombo is like a bushy-eyebrowed ex-girlfriend I can reconnect with in a second.

My family has been in Colombo since 1982, the year before the civil war started. I am unaware that the next time I get on a plane, one year after we scatter my father’s ashes in the hills of Sri Lanka, I will travel with my family to Bangkok, and while we are in the air, Sri Lanka’s international airport will be attacked by the Tigers. The war will finish eight years later; in all the time my father lived in Sri Lanka, he only saw one year of peace. He had an Indian passport, and my mother, brother, sister and I have British ones. So, through the war, we could have left whenever we wanted to. We could have left when our neighbours were assassinated metres from us. We could have left when a bomb went off near where my brother ate breakfast after a long night out. Yet, it never even crossed our mind.

I am half Tibetan, half English and cannot say more than please, thank you and kiss my ass in Sinhala and even less in Tamil, but I have the head wobble and I smile when I am in trouble. I would be Sri Lankan if I wasn’t a careful driver. I feel like this is my home, but I am still not sure how long I will stay.

It is 2011, and my wife and I marry under the vines of a massive banyan tree, while our guests sit in their sarongs and saris on the sandy floor in front of us. To our right is a kade—a village shop—selling fruit, sweets, newspapers, mops and brooms, and around us are mud huts with thatched roofs.

After we sign the registry, we dance (well, my wife dances and I move my jungle eyebrows) around a scarecrow, with a face painted on to a clay pot, guarding a vegetable patch. In the corner behind us, chickens roam free and a bull is tied to a tree. Women in traditional dress cook the most delicious curries in clay pots, above open wood fires, while the men serve arrack in cloudy glasses or coconut shells. It could be a typical Sri Lankan village scene, except that this is Nuga Gama, a restaurant at the Cinnamon Grand, Colombo’s finest five-star hotel. It is a carbon-neutral location, with the slogan “back to our roots”, and I cannot think of a better setting. Sri Lankans are known for their elaborate, often ostentatious weddings, but ours is as simple as my wife (just joking).

Visitors to Sri Lanka travel to beaches, tea estates, safari parks and historical ruins, but not many would get the chance to eat in such an authentic village setting without even having to leave their hotel. It’s a great photo op for the lazy.

Four years later, I return often with my three-year-old daughter, who loves to feed apples to the same bull, and sometimes I take her to see the restaurant’s weekly cultural show. It is my hat tip to a way of life I love. Can Colombo develop as everyone hopes, without losing its roots?

It is 2016, and I come into Colombo for the first time after the birth of my second child. I am sitting at Barefoot’s Garden Café on a Sunday listening to live jazz. I eat black pork curry and share a bottle of white wine with some friends. To my right, a lady weaves a fabric of colours so bright and cheerful that they lift our mood. The end result will be sold at Barefoot’s famous shop. We watch the plethora of visiting expatriate Sri Lankans marvelling at life here. I know each of them wonders when to make the final move back for good. The time is right, I tell these strangers with such authority that I realize that Colombo is my permanent home.

Things are happening here. Good friends of mine, whom I assumed had no talent, are showing great talent. Many are opening incredible shops and restaurants. Colombo is the same, but it just feels different. More traffic, more energy, more optimism. And it’s been spruced up. Like the ex-girlfriend I mentioned who has now plucked her eyebrows.
During the war, people were afraid to clean up, invest or develop. Security was the key concern, but now the army camp opposite the Galle Face Green is being replaced by a Shangri-La and an ITC hotel. Up the road, they have started work on the port city on reclaimed land. By doing so they have created a little bay bang in the city, on which brave tourists who can ignore men staring at them strip to swimwear.

The Galle Face Green. Photo: John Warburton-Lee Photography/IndiaPicture
The Galle Face Green. Photo: John Warburton-Lee Photography/IndiaPicture
I stand on this new beach looking at the area where a saltwater crocodile was spotted a few months earlier. That thought terrifies me. But when someone lights a firecracker behind me, I know it’s a firecracker. Pre-2009, it could have been anything.
Later, I move on to the Colombo Swimming Club to meet the editor of my first book, visiting from New Delhi. When I first arrived in the country, the club was foreigners only, and for some reason that did not seem strange at the time, even though it would be offensive today. With more local members than foreigners, it is less a bona-fide swimming club now than it is a place to meet “good eating-drinking buggers”. We share a gin and tonic, as the colonial founders of the club must have done, while trains splutter past, between us and the sea. The sun sinks into the Indian Ocean, and we can almost hear the sizzle as the clouds turn red. This is the heart of Colombo, but it feels a world away from anything stressful or busy.

I sit with my adopted street dogs, named after characters in my novels, on the balcony of the house my wife and I built in a district that may have been used for mass graves after the insurgency of the late 1980s. This is my Colombo, even though we are technically just outside, and I have no doubt it is my home. We are close enough to shopping centres and cinemas to feel comfortable, while also being able to see tropical birds, monkeys and paddy fields from where we sit. It feels like we are not far from the village life, albeit fake, of our wedding. Unusually for a Tibetan, I don’t believe in the afterlife. Yet, I can feel my father with me, because he was exactly like Colombo—his humour, his optimism, his potential, his lack of political correctness and mostly his smile after the cancer operation. It was just like the city I love—crooked but endearing.

Both my children are a quarter Tibetan, a quarter English, half Sri Lankan, with Australian passports. This is their home and will be till they go to university, at which point I will cry, like my father did every time I said goodbye to him. Maybe they will work abroad, but like me they will return every holiday. Wherever they are in the world they will think the grass is greener here in Colombo. One day, they will have a beer with me on this balcony. One day, this house will be theirs. One day, say, in 2080, they will be back here to look after my beautiful wife and to scatter my ashes in the hills of Sri Lanka.

Chhimi Tenduf-La is the author of two novels, The Amazing Racist and Panther.

http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/OF1XbReZFapo0IqCbHsDWP/Colombo-A-permanent-home.html?utm_content=bufferbce4f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Colombo: A permanent home Empty Re: Colombo: A permanent home

Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:20 pm
Wow. Very Happy
Thanks Ajith for sharing.
Market lover
Top contributor
Top contributor

Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:47 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Great Smile
The Alchemist
Top contributor
Top contributor

Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:13 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
The writers mother is Elizabeth Moir, who was earlier the Principal of the British Scholl in Colombo and now owns the Elizabeth Moir International school.
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:10 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Nicely written. Many of us who had a taste of 1960's and 70's Colombo are disturbed by the current version, but it still sure is a better place than most when all aspects are considered.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum