The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
CCS.N0000 ( Ceylon Cold Stores)Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:31 amHawk Eye
When Will It Be Safe To Invest In The Stock Market Again?Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Dividend AnnouncementsWed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
MAINTENANCE NOTICE / නඩත්තු දැනුම්දීමThu Apr 06, 2023 3:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 amyellow knife
The Korean Way !Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
In the Meantime Within Our Shores! Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What is Known as Dementia?Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
THE LANKA HOSPITALS CORPORATION PLC (LHCL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Equinox ( වසන්ත විෂුවය ) !Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMB.N0000 (Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
REXP.N0000 (Richard Pieris Exports PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
RICH.N0000 (Richard Pieris and Company PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Do You Have Computer Vision Syndrome?Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
LAXAPANA BATTERIES PLC (LITE.N0000)Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What a Bank Run ?Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTERWed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pmkatesmith1304
GLAS.N0000 (Piramal Glass Ceylon PLC)Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Cboe Volatility Index Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AHPL.N0000Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
TJL.N0000 (Tee Jey Lanka PLC.)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CTBL.N0000 ( CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC (COMD. N.0000))Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:43 pmyellow knife
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CSD.N0000 (Seylan Developments PLC)Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 amyellow knife
PLC.N0000 (People's Leasing and Finance PLC) Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Bakery Products ?Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
NTB.N0000 (Nations Trust Bank PLC)Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Going South Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
When Seagulls Follow the TrawlerThu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Re-activatingSat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
APLA.N0000 (ACL Plastics PLC)Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AVOID FALLING INTO ALLURING WEEKEND FAMILY PACKAGES.Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Banks, Finance & Insurance Sector ChartTue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
VPEL.N0000 (Vallibel Power Erathna PLC)Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DEADLY COCKTAIL OF ISLAND MENTALITY AND PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER MIX.Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
WATA - WatawalaSat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
KFP.N0000(Keels Food Products PLC)Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Capital Trust Broker in difficulty?Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
IS PIRATING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY A BOON OR BANE?Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What Industry Would You Choose to Focus?Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:39 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Should I Stick Around, or Should I Follow Others' Lead?Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:07 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DV-2024 Program: Online RegistrationThu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Disclaimer

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Past and future of the rubber price

+15
chutiputha
sashimaal
Backstage
Leon
hariesha
pathfinder
Nuinth
Deegoda Gamage
yaka
kass
rainmaker
jonta999
slstock
stocks hunter
Jana1
19 posters
Go down
sashimaal
sashimaal
Top contributor
Top contributor

Past and future of the rubber price - Page 2 Empty Re: Past and future of the rubber price

Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:02 pm
Good post Jana1, +

As you are an expert in this area, any possibility of starting a Palm Oil related thread as well (can add on to Alchemist's Cars/Buki Thread).

Thanks
hariesha
Top contributor
Top contributor

Past and future of the rubber price - Page 2 Empty Re: Past and future of the rubber price

Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:36 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

WATA and NAMU were the pioneers in oil palm in Sri Lanka followed by ELPL. NAMU is affected by low rubber prices. Only ELPL and WATA are managed to be in the winning streak. But WATA was affected in the current quarter. ELPL we have to see.

WATA and ELPL both have given more than 100% return in this run. I still hold WATA. But I feel we are reaching the end.
hariesha
Top contributor
Top contributor

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:00 pm
Jana1 wrote:
Backstage wrote:Jana1, do you know the percentages of local consumption vs exports of NR. I read awhile back that with the rise of Loadstar, Dipped and Tyre, the local consumption has gone up considerably. I also think that there are more NR consuming projects in the pipeline.

In 2013, 24 000 M.T raw natural rubber exported and 107,000 MT was local consumed. I don't know about the pipeline, they always talk about it. Even local consumption is gone up considerably, what is the impact in the rubber price? It will adjust with world mkt since our export revenue is almost 50% of local consumption of the finished products.

In 2010, 101bn local consumption versus  63 bn foreign. But in 2013 it was 105 bn local consumption versus 92bn foreign sales. Foreign revenue increases over time.

DIPD is actually doing non-medical gloves which make nearly 13bn rubber related products turnover. Only 0.5% of the 13bn product was sold in Sri Lanka. It has good portion of 92 bn total foreign rubber export.

If we come to tyre 25 % of the 5.8 bn TO is foreign sales. TYRE doesn't have much impact as its TO is just tine portion and it cant influence on local rubber price at all.

In case of REXP, 2.2 bn export versus 0.25 bn local. Most of Sri Lanka rubber related producing companies mainly target foreign mkts. So local rubber price should much with foreign to make sri lanka rubber product so competitive. Sri lankan government aware about the mechanism.

Cannot agree with Jana1. REXP is a very small company and DIPD do have their own plantations. The biggest rubber manufacturing companies in Sri Lanka are not listed. ie: LOARDSTAR.

Rubber manufactures are comfortable with current prices. So the sustainability factor should look at by the authorities. Always local rubber prices were higher than international prices. Due to this reason there were considarable latex imports also in the past.

I think government very correctly understood the situation and increased the CESS on imported rubber. Authorities are of the view that Rs.300/- kg should maintain for rubber in order to sustain the plantations.
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:26 pm
Jana1 wrote:
Backstage wrote:Jana1, do you know the percentages of local consumption vs exports of NR. I read awhile back that with the rise of Loadstar, Dipped and Tyre, the local consumption has gone up considerably. I also think that there are more NR consuming projects in the pipeline.

In 2013, 24 000 M.T raw natural rubber exported and 107,000 MT was local consumed. I don't know about the pipeline, they always talk about it. Even local consumption is gone up considerably, what is the impact in the rubber price? It will adjust with world mkt since our export revenue is almost 50% of local consumption of the finished products.

In 2010, 101bn local consumption versus  63 bn foreign. But in 2013 it was 105 bn local consumption versus 92bn foreign sales. Foreign revenue increases over time.

DIPD is actually doing non-medical gloves which make nearly 13bn rubber related products turnover. Only 0.5% of the 13bn product was sold in Sri Lanka. It has good portion of 92 bn total foreign rubber export.

If we come to tyre 25 % of the 5.8 bn TO is foreign sales. TYRE doesn't have much impact as its TO is just tine portion and it cant influence on local rubber price at all.

In case of REXP, 2.2 bn export versus 0.25 bn local. Most of Sri Lanka rubber related producing companies mainly target foreign mkts. So local rubber price should much with foreign to make sri lanka rubber product so competitive. Sri lankan government aware about the mechanism.

Thanks Jana1 for the informative reply.

I think our Rubber and Polymer scientist deserve kudos for this achievement of high rate of value addition.
I hope that the day we don't export any NR without value addition is near.
hariesha
Top contributor
Top contributor

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:26 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
I will quickly explain why I piked REXP as going to be a success story in 2012, which you might be aware if you have gone through my report.

Logic might be helpful for new investors to pick correct stocks in the future.

1. REXP was at a utter loss and there were lot of internal re-structuring under a solid management with negative NAV
2. The benefit they were going to get from US GSP consession
3. Impending Rupee Depreciation ( New comers might not aware that government did a sudden rupee depreciation in 2011 or 12, the effect took rupee from Rs.110/- to Rs.133/-) This was immensely benefited the exporters as a whole, but mainly to industries that were using 100% local inputs. REXP was in this category.
4. Falling rubber prices. When I was discussing REXP rubber prices have fallen to Rs.400/- per Kg from Rs.600/-+ level. Now it's around Rs.250/- per Kg.

When I discussed REXP for the first time almost all comments were negative and intimidating. But today REXP has gone to a territory even i never expected (Maximum I was expecting was Rs.120/-) and it deserves it. But other than the fundamentals low liquidity was also a factor.

Jana1
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:33 am
hariesha wrote:
Jana1 wrote:

Cannot agree with Jana1. REXP is a very small company and DIPD do have their own plantations. The biggest rubber manufacturing companies in Sri Lanka are not listed. ie: LOARDSTAR.

Rubber manufactures are comfortable with current prices. So the sustainability factor should look at by the authorities. Always local rubber prices were higher than international prices. Due to this reason there were considarable latex imports also in the past.

I think government very correctly understood the situation and increased the CESS on imported rubber. Authorities are of the view that Rs.300/- kg should maintain for rubber in order to sustain the plantations.

Oopss I thought load star is one f the Tyre's brand name. Thanks for the info, then I have to look load star turnover.

Govt increased by 10ts per kg cess is nothing compared to fall in price.

Regarding world and local price: Previously I was also in same impression as u by comparing 2010 peak prices and present bottom prices without discounting for currency depreciation. If u depreciate SL currency accordingly then the local price are almost adjusted with international price. In local sometime short term fluctuation varies with international. That is the only difefrence I saw.

Rs 300/kg is guaranteed price. How do u expect that as a minimum price? During last auction rss-4 price was 203 rs/ kg. it felt after budget. I don't think govt will control rubber price. When small holders recommended October to control prices and stop import of raw rubber govt suggested it will disturb mkt stability and local production insufficient..

Last edited by Jana1 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Jana1
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:38 am
hariesha wrote:I will quickly explain why I piked REXP as going to be a success story in 2012, which you might be aware if you have gone through my report.

Logic might be helpful for new investors to pick correct stocks in the future.

1. REXP was at a utter loss and there were lot of internal re-structuring under a solid management with negative NAV
2. The benefit they were going to get from US GSP consession
3. Impending Rupee Depreciation ( New comers might not aware that government did a sudden rupee depreciation in 2011 or 12, the effect took rupee from Rs.110/- to Rs.133/-) This was immensely benefited the exporters as a whole, but mainly to industries that were using 100% local inputs. REXP was in this category.
4. Falling rubber prices. When I was discussing REXP rubber prices have fallen to Rs.400/- per Kg from Rs.600/-+ level. Now it's around Rs.250/- per Kg.

When I discussed REXP for the first time almost all comments were negative and intimidating. But today REXP has gone to a territory even i never expected (Maximum I was expecting was Rs.120/-) and it deserves it. But other than the fundamentals low liquidity was also a factor.

Thanks hariesha, I remember ur points. But in third point u mentioned Rexp use 100% local input which is wrong. They use some imported raw rubber for hard rubber sector.

Last edited by Jana1 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Jana1
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:40 am
Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)
Backstage wrote:
Jana1 wrote:

Thanks Jana1 for the informative reply.

I think our Rubber and Polymer scientist deserve kudos for this achievement of high rate of value addition.
I hope that the day we don't export any NR without value addition is near.

I hope so. Raw rubber export shows higher level of decline. Govt stock of rubber also increased to 10 mn metric tons in 2014 from 0 in 2010. Govt suggested to consider export using finished products since raw rubber export mkt is niche and cannot sustain.
chutiputha
chutiputha
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:53 pm
Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)
Price Movement of Lat 5 Years

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Source - GIH Capital Research
First Guy
First Guy

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:05 pm
Is it showing an upward trend? Any experts on the subject? Recently KGAL dipped to low 80s, which is quite close to it's financial net asset value if I remember correct.
sapumal

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:35 pm
Not an expert. But rubber prices can't have upward trend. World currently is in over supply situation. Only solutions is cut down rubber trees in Thiland, Malaysia.
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:57 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
Rubber is known as White Gold.. But as Jana as explained at the beginning of this article Rubber price was fluctuating widely throughout history..

Even in 1920s the British rulers found rubber price fluctuation as an issue. So a committee was appointed under Sir James Stevenson. His recommendation was to restrict production.

" The Stevenson Restriction Scheme came into force in Malaysia and Sri lanka, Britain's other main rubber-growing colony. " (p 42..How Asia Works)

So the announcement to reduce production to stabilize prices almost created a rebel in Malaysia. Large Plantations and small plots were given limits to produce. Smallholders protested and claimed their production is higher per hectare. That was against the expectation of British where they thought large plantations are more efficient. A survey was conducted and found small holders rubber production is very much higher than large estates. Thus the limit for small holders increased.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:02 am
Jana did a very good article on rubber and since he is present after a long vacation lets continue this thread on rubber .

Government calls for importation of rubber to revive ailing industry.

Minister says entrepot trade should be allowed for rubber." Rubber should be allowed to be imported for re-export activities without any hindrances whatsoever, like what is happening in Singapore and Dubai.."

Maybe minister has forgotten the fact that both Dubai and Singapore are not countries where rubber is grown. In the book " How Asia Works" it says not to copy Singapore and Dubai as they are mere shipping hubs

Industry calls to restore fertilizer subsidy to improve production..

This factor was mentioned in many plantation related annual reports like ELPL. Many economists evangelize to remove subsidies to agriculture yet the same economists advice their countries to practice the same. US is the best example. Cotton in subsidized to such an extent where poor nations purely depending on cotton have to suffer...
xmart
xmart
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:01 pm
im all ears Smile

Jana, please!
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:35 pm
Some say that Rubber prices have bottomed out and an upward trend is on the cards.

Anybody following Rubber situ ?
yaka

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:09 pm
I was watching the price movement. after touching 146 lowest now hoovering around 180jpy/kg in TOCOM.

you also may see.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

however there is no place to check rubber prices in SL. only site having detail I could find is not updated after September 6.
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:26 pm
Thanks Yaka.
Will hunt for forecast.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum