The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
When Will It Be Safe To Invest In The Stock Market Again?Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Dividend AnnouncementsWed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
MAINTENANCE NOTICE / නඩත්තු දැනුම්දීමThu Apr 06, 2023 3:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 amyellow knife
The Korean Way !Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
In the Meantime Within Our Shores! Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What is Known as Dementia?Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
THE LANKA HOSPITALS CORPORATION PLC (LHCL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Equinox ( වසන්ත විෂුවය ) !Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMB.N0000 (Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
REXP.N0000 (Richard Pieris Exports PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
RICH.N0000 (Richard Pieris and Company PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Do You Have Computer Vision Syndrome?Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
LAXAPANA BATTERIES PLC (LITE.N0000)Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What a Bank Run ?Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTERWed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pmkatesmith1304
GLAS.N0000 (Piramal Glass Ceylon PLC)Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Cboe Volatility Index Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AHPL.N0000Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
TJL.N0000 (Tee Jey Lanka PLC.)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CTBL.N0000 ( CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC (COMD. N.0000))Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:43 pmyellow knife
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CSD.N0000 (Seylan Developments PLC)Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 amyellow knife
PLC.N0000 (People's Leasing and Finance PLC) Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Bakery Products ?Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
NTB.N0000 (Nations Trust Bank PLC)Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Going South Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
When Seagulls Follow the TrawlerThu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Re-activatingSat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
APLA.N0000 (ACL Plastics PLC)Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AVOID FALLING INTO ALLURING WEEKEND FAMILY PACKAGES.Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Banks, Finance & Insurance Sector ChartTue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
VPEL.N0000 (Vallibel Power Erathna PLC)Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DEADLY COCKTAIL OF ISLAND MENTALITY AND PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER MIX.Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
WATA - WatawalaSat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
KFP.N0000(Keels Food Products PLC)Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Capital Trust Broker in difficulty?Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
IS PIRATING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY A BOON OR BANE?Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What Industry Would You Choose to Focus?Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:39 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Should I Stick Around, or Should I Follow Others' Lead?Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:07 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DV-2024 Program: Online RegistrationThu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Tile - SnapshotWed Sep 28, 2022 12:45 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Disclaimer

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Go down
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Help him Today, so he can help another Tomorrow Empty Help him Today, so he can help another Tomorrow

Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:59 am
Message reputation : 100% (4 votes)
A printing establishment in Ampara, Tharindu Offset Printers, had gained the attention of many in the country recently as its owner Mettananda Rubasinghe had cut off parts of a very expensive printing machine in order to save the hand of an employee.

However, sadly the insurance company had refused to pay compensation for the machine.

As a result, this printing press owner is facing a very pathetic situation,

I spoke to him little while ago and suggested to him that we would like to start a “Fund Him” campaign on social media, for which he politely declined to receive anything as “Donation” but would be delighted if someone or some institute can lend him Rs 1.5 million right now, so he can pay his previous loan areas straightaway and get his name out of the CRIB.

His compounded loss due to damage to the machine, loss of business etc run up to Rs 7 million but he was confident that he could make his business flourish again if his initial difficulty of finding Rs 1.5 million and get his name out of CRIB soon.

Also please note that he has to still take care of his injured worker, despite his own difficulties and the worker is responding well to the treatments and recuperating.

Share as much as possible and see if anyone can lend his the initially required funds to restart his business.
CK
CK

Help him Today, so he can help another Tomorrow Empty Re: Help him Today, so he can help another Tomorrow

Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:34 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
We should reveal that insurance company ...
Good work kith.
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Help him Today, so he can help another Tomorrow Empty Re: Help him Today, so he can help another Tomorrow

Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:45 pm
It is Ceylinco General Insurance but you can't blame them as it was not covered under such circumstances.
(However, if I was the Manager, I would have sanctioned considering the human side of the story).
I was trying to create a Go Fund Him page online but without much luck.  Sad
CK wrote:We should reveal that insurance company ...
Good work kith.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:27 pm
Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)
Cannot ignore replying to this post  when a good person is in difficulty after doing a good deed. 

I repped you too  for raising this matter. Good people like him needs to be rewarded  while cunning game players and indecent should be looked down upon.

Please Do Not   rep  me for this post . I am only replying  to honor a person
like him. Hopefully some constructive feedback is below

~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

If this happened in foreign country , he will not only be showered with gratitude
but he will be financially rewarded by society / companies.

I saw a Homeless person who donated his last $20 to  woman in need ,
getting around $20000 in return.

Notes:

1) If you can start a Gofundme page ,   I will spread the word. 

2) But starting Go fund me  for Sri Lanka will be highly scrutinized by GFM.
India/Sri Lanka and most Asian countries  do not have a good reputation on charity matters , honestly and transparency.  It may not get approved without proof.  Gofundme keep a cut too.

3) Easier suggestions

i) Ask him to contact the President. Am sure  he will do something from President fund. Why? For Politics  and publicity Wink  

ii) If you/he  can tell this story to media channel who  has  a charity program,  his needs  can surely  be  easily met.

iii) Can't  he approach a Bank and get loan against his assets( building)  ? 
Of course no bank in SL will give loan against the humane service he did .  

iv) If he has facebook page  tell him to post his story on FB.  I am almost positive it will go viral with  offers to help if he tell his story.
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:09 pm
The Sri Lanka Army felicitated him.

Help him Today, so he can help another Tomorrow Rb110

Tried to create a Go Fund page for him but I could not get it done due to Paypal is not allowed here.

I have posted it on many places and spoken to a few rich people as well.
Hopefully, something good will come his way eventually.

My only supplication to all those who read this is to give as much publicity as possible in your own little ways.

I will speak to him again soon and post an update accordingly.
pathfinder
pathfinder
Top contributor
Top contributor

Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:03 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
Excellent job Kith,respect you.It's great to see still people with a heart is living.I'll spread the message as far as I can.
spw19721
spw19721

Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:01 am
THANKS FOR SHARING.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:33 am
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
Have lost faith and interest spending time here but regarding this post / Mr Meththananda  have not. Bad things often happen to people like him. So very sad. My life experiences too relate to this. So I ventured to find out more about his situation .

2 topics :

1) New info  found on his situation 
2) Further Information I need

~~~~~~~~~~

Info on his present situation :

1) He was doing very good business with this destroyed machine and has won many awards including the best entrepreneur in his region.

Machine was worth about Rs 100 Laks.

He has taken a Loan from a Private bank to buy the Machine.

Now he is unable to pay the balance monthly installments.

Bank is not  reorganizing the loan giving him more time to pay. 
No installment or interest payment relief given. 

Simply the dirty Bank brutally wants their money.
(Hey what about the Billions of Rs KAPI owes ? All this fuss is over Rs 100 laks and that too was partly paid. That how the system works in SL)

They are now trying to auction off  his private assets to recover money.

2) Reg Insurance

He apparently has taken 3 Insurance policies.

a) One for the Building ( which doesn't cover the machine)

b) One he missed  payment, so its inactive.

c) Third , he insured his Workers.  But the Insurance company  instead of insuring  against "Worker Designations" has insured with worker names.

( This is totally uncalled for. A worker can quit but the designation remains. Was this deliberate ? )

This particular worker who was injured , not amazingly wasn't included by the insurance company in the policy name list. 

So summary : no insurance payment for the worker.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We  in general often talk about  bull crap showing that we care about a just society, a nicer country , fairness ,  saving  forests ,  honesty   etc  etc .  But when  a specific
incident comes , where are the people and humane qualities left in this brutal country from Businesses to Ordinary citizens ?

Need to find out

a)   the name of the bank who is trying to auction off his assets 

b)   is there a legal claim/ loophole from his side with the Insurance company to get them to pay ( Policy c) or it is dead cause to fight against them ?

( Did the Insurance Co deliberately mess up the worker insurance to not pay,
     or does he not think there is a legal base for him to fight with them ?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Public Money collection :

Kithsiri,

If you need a Paypal account for GoFundme I maybe able to arrange one.

(You may have forgotten this ) but you also have an option can ask your Kid to
get a temporary Paypal account  Wink

But I see several issues with this 

a) Gofundme keeps a cut. Money collected will be lesser than projected. 

b) $ to Rs conversions  +  other fees  will eat  more of the collected money

c) There can be tax issues  

d) GoFundme scrutinizes foreign charity collections more
( after you create a fund, they don't release easily without proof )

Think it maybe be  better to find a local solution.
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:02 am
I have a valid Paypal account but on this occasion, I was unable to get access to it through GoFundMe site. Tried a few times with no luck.
I was planning to call him up again and get an update.
If he has changed his mind, then I will start something for him.
Thanks for the support (@ SLS).

(Something I see here often and I blame it to our old education system and that is many are unaware what to cover and what not to when taking up an Insurance cover and or Bank loan).
serene
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:49 am
Excellent work Kith and thanks SLS for his guidance and appreciation for this worthy course.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum