The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
When Will It Be Safe To Invest In The Stock Market Again?Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Dividend AnnouncementsWed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
MAINTENANCE NOTICE / නඩත්තු දැනුම්දීමThu Apr 06, 2023 3:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 amyellow knife
The Korean Way !Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
In the Meantime Within Our Shores! Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What is Known as Dementia?Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
THE LANKA HOSPITALS CORPORATION PLC (LHCL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Equinox ( වසන්ත විෂුවය ) !Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMB.N0000 (Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
REXP.N0000 (Richard Pieris Exports PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
RICH.N0000 (Richard Pieris and Company PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Do You Have Computer Vision Syndrome?Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
LAXAPANA BATTERIES PLC (LITE.N0000)Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What a Bank Run ?Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTERWed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pmkatesmith1304
GLAS.N0000 (Piramal Glass Ceylon PLC)Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Cboe Volatility Index Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AHPL.N0000Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
TJL.N0000 (Tee Jey Lanka PLC.)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CTBL.N0000 ( CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC (COMD. N.0000))Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:43 pmyellow knife
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CSD.N0000 (Seylan Developments PLC)Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 amyellow knife
PLC.N0000 (People's Leasing and Finance PLC) Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Bakery Products ?Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
NTB.N0000 (Nations Trust Bank PLC)Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Going South Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
When Seagulls Follow the TrawlerThu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Re-activatingSat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
APLA.N0000 (ACL Plastics PLC)Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AVOID FALLING INTO ALLURING WEEKEND FAMILY PACKAGES.Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Banks, Finance & Insurance Sector ChartTue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
VPEL.N0000 (Vallibel Power Erathna PLC)Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DEADLY COCKTAIL OF ISLAND MENTALITY AND PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER MIX.Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
WATA - WatawalaSat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
KFP.N0000(Keels Food Products PLC)Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Capital Trust Broker in difficulty?Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
IS PIRATING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY A BOON OR BANE?Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What Industry Would You Choose to Focus?Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:39 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Should I Stick Around, or Should I Follow Others' Lead?Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:07 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DV-2024 Program: Online RegistrationThu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Tile - SnapshotWed Sep 28, 2022 12:45 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Disclaimer

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Should such people be trusted and help anymore?

+7
pathfinder
The Alchemist
Backstage
slstock
yellow knife
serene
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
11 posters
Go down
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Should such people be trusted and help anymore? Empty Should such people be trusted and help anymore?

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:21 am
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
It was a bumper harvest for pumpkins this year.

The government intervened and bought large sums to ease the situation but many had to be thrown away later due to poor storage.

Another wasteful expenditure by the government again.

Recently a friend of ours sent an SMS asking those who visit outstations to buy as many pumpkins as possible without bargaining from poor farmers.

And it seems a reasonable and timely request.

Help another when in need is not a bad thing.

Last weekend we visited deep down south of Sri Lanka on a pilgrimage and on our way back bought as many pumpings as our car boot could hold.

No bargaining and paid the requested price.

We were thinking that we made both the grower and neighbours happy with that gesture as we distributed all the pumpkins among the neighbourhood later.

Today we went for our groceries to one of the nearby Supermarket and there I found pumpkins similar or larger than the ones we purchased on our way back on display.

Out of curiosity, I picked up the biggest among the lot and asked to weigh it and tell me how much it would cost us.

We were aghast to find that the grower has overcharged us at least 25% more than the current city price.

Last night on Tv news too I have seen paddy growers were going to Private vendors offering lesser prices than the government collecting centres.

And later blaming the government of not paying them a fair price for their products.

Should such people be trusted and help anymore?
serene
Top contributor
Top contributor

Should such people be trusted and help anymore? Empty Re: Should such people be trusted and help anymore?

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:33 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Very true Kith.
For the same reason I prefer buying cloths at Lager Clothing stores.
Otherwise few hundreds bucks is not a big deal but the few cunning vendors bad dealings lead us to go more transparent but higher prices.
After all who likes to be get cheated.
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Should such people be trusted and help anymore? Empty Re: Should such people be trusted and help anymore?

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:43 am
Just watch this Video.

https://youtu.be/N1JoeG46g_I

Sri Lankan Pumpkin Curry..

At the very beginning of the video, pumpkins sold without a seller. Just put your money to the box near by.

When are we becoming so HONEST?

When I visited Abu Dhabi there was a bus where you have to just put your coins ( bus fare) to a box near the bus driver.

Someone told me that Sri Lankans even put Sri Lankan 50 cents coins to the box and that is how we cheat even at International Level.
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:03 am
Thanks.
I have seen in many parts of the developed nations, people behave ethically even if they are not being monitored by someone.
Crooks are there too but in SL the Ratio is much much higher.
yellow knife wrote:Just watch this Video.

https://youtu.be/N1JoeG46g_I
Sri Lankan Pumpkin Curry..
At the very beginning of the video, pumpkins sold without a seller. Just put your money to the box near by.
When are we becoming so HONEST?
When I visited Abu Dhabi there was a bus where you have to just put your coins ( bus fare) to a box near the bus driver.
Someone told me that Sri Lankans even put Sri Lankan 50 cents coins to the box and that is how we cheat even at International Level.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:41 am
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:Thanks.
I have seen in many parts of the developed nations, people behave ethically even if they are not being monitored by someone.
Crooks are there too but in SL the Ratio is much much higher.
yellow knife wrote:Just watch this Video.

1) Here is a real story.
Sometime ago a Mall in a western land handed out a limited number of  
$10 gift cards on Christmas day.  

Do you know what some Sri Lankans , Indians , other Desis and Chinese did?
They went and got 1 card , went out the back door and joined the queqe again
to get another.

So one person ended up getting many cards which were meant for many.

Surprise. Next year , the Mall stopped giving cards out.

The greedy and unethical people killed the golden goose that could have laid eggs for few years for everyone.  

2) Here is something I said else where.

slstock wrote:

Majority of SL people follow herds.  
Many don't think  or plan for themselves or stand for what is right.  
They are only concerned about their short term goals.

[u]We in Asia due to  mass population and competitiveness only learn
to Compete and Survive in short term.  Our brains tend to get wired that way.

So we forget the other side, ethics and use any means possible including
deceit,  denial, arrogance , cunning,  not following the law to achieve
our ends.  We then fight or justify it too if contested.

I am not saying everyone is like that  ( I met wonderful human beings amongst
Sri Lankans) .  But I seen majority of the society are aligned that way to think
and behave. India and Bangladesh is the same ( maybe worse than us)

So in summary for SL , ethics , longer term goals/repercussions
standing up for what is right is secondary. First is .... ?
Even our Country's Budget is like that !  

3) I concur on  what YK said.  

4) In Kithsiri's case, the Farmers must have thought,
 to the devil with Ethics and fairness.  

Let make a killing from these stupid buyers while we can.
Who cares about future deals , moral. Let make merry today

Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:35 pm
Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)
Blah Blah Blah……… all you geriatric tribalist are a classic case of Island Mentality. SL is either the worlds best or worst ! I have lived and worked with multiple nationalities, all are the same , some territories have more hypocrites and parasite’s than others, and there are clear reasons of historical circumstances available if you care to get your more than ample backsides from your pseudo colonial kavichchiyas, in this age of Google and Wikipedia and go take a look. If SL had ransacked a few nations, we would have rebuilt our Universities 500 years ago, and we too will have newspapers selling themselves in the street corner and we can give “ethics” lectures to the children of the nasty Vikings in Scandinavia. In spite of it being the other way around, terrible things are going on in those models of governance. They cover it better than our aiyya’s ( no offence to Nihal) Canada has Newspapers at the corner. They are also actively continuing the genocide of the Natives. Nobel makes trillions in the arms industry and gives piss ass Peace prize. The list goes on. We are all the same , some more ignorant than others and don’t need to be puzzled by it every other quarter. You myopic frogs in the well need to wake up and smell the Kahata. One day Lucy’s grandchildren packed some dried Hippo steaks and pickled Antelope balls sandwiches and went on an excursion to Lemuria. Presto some proud SriLankans emerged. We are all Africans, whether you like it or not. I sent a message to (Modayage Gaeni) Modi, not to waste those payloads in no mans land in Balkot and drop a few at Beliatta, Walsmulla and of course Rathgama. Stop wasting time talking about Vattakka scammer’s, if you want to help poor innocent (he, he) farmers, teach them to distill pumpkin seed oil, and sell it to the Chinese at the Magampura Protectorate, in turn they will impregnate all the Seelawathies , Dilhani’s and Sewwandies bathing on the banks of the Kirirndi Oya and our feudal kappang taking tribes will get an infusion of some fresh hardworking genes. One tribalists with enlarged testicals is about lead a ODI series defeat up ahead. Bomb them , Vattakka’ and Vambotta’s et al. I hope that I have offended all you above for writing garbage and wasting peoples time, maybe you all should go back to Addis Ababa and take some Vattakka for Ahmed Abiy , who is trying to do the impossible while the western press is silent.
So will you please stop this meaningless Ethical Vattakka chatter and focus on the ASI. In the mad month of March, despite the valiant efforts of Nikamsinghe,Trymepala and Jarapassa, to bugger the market., ASI is going to go up and up, IMF approval, Chinese Swap and EPF return, its going to be Rock & Roll. Vattakka my foot !
serene
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:03 pm
Hammata patta write up Backs. bounce
The Alchemist
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:31 pm
Super write up Backstage ! way to fire up the forum Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy i wonder what happened to Pee Ratio. missing for a long time
pathfinder
pathfinder
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:12 pm
It's very pathetic Kith

@Backstage-Nice write up
ruwan326
ruwan326

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:24 pm
Well, after reading Backstage reply I decide to add more "වට්ටක්කා" to our menu.........Time to buy more වට්ටක්කා tomorrow....... Hope you all buy more වට්ටක්කා, if you don't like curry you can boil & even make soup Wink

Ethical Trader
Ethical Trader
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:29 am
In addition, a delicious pudding can be made out of wattakka.
ruwan326 wrote:Well, after reading Backstage reply I decide to add more "වට්ටක්කා" to our menu.........Time to buy more වට්ටක්කා tomorrow....... Hope you all buy more වට්ටක්කා, if you don't like curry you can boil & even make soup  Wink

dhanurrox

Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:15 am
Back the last para is really encouraging
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:26 am
Do you believe in reincarnation?  Very Happy
(Next is Chu-Tea-Putha's).
The Alchemist wrote:I wonder what happened to Pee Ratio. missing for a long time
pjrngroup

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:42 am
Superb Back.

I do the same when i go on trips, buy local produce without bargaining. not only in Sri lanka I did the same in Kenya too. but kenyan didn't cheat me but srilankans did.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum