The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
When Will It Be Safe To Invest In The Stock Market Again?Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Dividend AnnouncementsWed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
MAINTENANCE NOTICE / නඩත්තු දැනුම්දීමThu Apr 06, 2023 3:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 amyellow knife
The Korean Way !Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
In the Meantime Within Our Shores! Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What is Known as Dementia?Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
THE LANKA HOSPITALS CORPORATION PLC (LHCL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Equinox ( වසන්ත විෂුවය ) !Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMB.N0000 (Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
REXP.N0000 (Richard Pieris Exports PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
RICH.N0000 (Richard Pieris and Company PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Do You Have Computer Vision Syndrome?Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
LAXAPANA BATTERIES PLC (LITE.N0000)Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What a Bank Run ?Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTERWed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pmkatesmith1304
GLAS.N0000 (Piramal Glass Ceylon PLC)Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Cboe Volatility Index Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AHPL.N0000Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
TJL.N0000 (Tee Jey Lanka PLC.)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CTBL.N0000 ( CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC (COMD. N.0000))Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:43 pmyellow knife
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CSD.N0000 (Seylan Developments PLC)Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 amyellow knife
PLC.N0000 (People's Leasing and Finance PLC) Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Bakery Products ?Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
NTB.N0000 (Nations Trust Bank PLC)Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Going South Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
When Seagulls Follow the TrawlerThu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Re-activatingSat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
APLA.N0000 (ACL Plastics PLC)Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AVOID FALLING INTO ALLURING WEEKEND FAMILY PACKAGES.Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Banks, Finance & Insurance Sector ChartTue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
VPEL.N0000 (Vallibel Power Erathna PLC)Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DEADLY COCKTAIL OF ISLAND MENTALITY AND PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER MIX.Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
WATA - WatawalaSat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
KFP.N0000(Keels Food Products PLC)Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Capital Trust Broker in difficulty?Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
IS PIRATING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY A BOON OR BANE?Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What Industry Would You Choose to Focus?Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:39 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Should I Stick Around, or Should I Follow Others' Lead?Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:07 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DV-2024 Program: Online RegistrationThu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Tile - SnapshotWed Sep 28, 2022 12:45 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Disclaimer

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

How to identify a stock market bottom

+12
sapumal
pee ratio
Backstage
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
sashimaal
The Invisible
The Alchemist
xmart
CK
yellow knife
Yin-Yang
nihal123
16 posters
Go down
CK
CK

How to identify a stock market bottom - Page 2 Empty Re: How to identify a stock market bottom

Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:55 am
YY what you think? Shall I take my biggest bet below 31? What is the best method? Buy small blocks hoping to avg down towards 25? study
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

How to identify a stock market bottom - Page 2 Empty Re: How to identify a stock market bottom

Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:24 am
How about selling the stake... then deposit in a bank saving and out of monthly interest buy shares of promising stocks...You are safe from shocks and enjoy the roller coaster, the deeper the trough the more you enjoy...
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:46 am
CK wrote:YY what you think? Shall I take my biggest bet below 31?+++
+

What I think is, in the world of investments, almost always, your biggest bets and most promising bets will go against you.
So, there should not be any thing called the 'biggest bet'.

CK wrote:+++
++Buy small blocks hoping to avg down towards 25? study

How about hoping to avg down towards 0/- ?

+++++++++++++

yellow knife wrote:How about selling the stake... then deposit in a bank saving and out of monthly interest buy shares of promising stocks...You are safe from shocks and enjoy the roller coaster, the deeper the trough the more you enjoy...

That sounds like something to ponder !

[Age seems to be making some ppl wiser]
CK
CK

Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:50 am
So YY what you say? Buy or not? what you meant by avg down towards zero?
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:52 am
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
CK wrote:So YY what you say? Buy or not? what you meant by avg down towards zero?

Keep the mind at 'Now'.

If the price worths now, why should we care even if it can go to 0/- ?

If the price does not worth now, why should we keep even if we have bought at 100/- ?
sashimaal
sashimaal
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:56 am
Good answer Razz

However if you are on margin, you should care about the price going down to 0 Very Happy

Yin-Yang wrote:
CK wrote:So YY what you say? Buy or not? what you meant by avg down towards zero?

Keep the mind at 'Now'.

If the price does not worth now, why should we keep even if we have bought at 100/- ?
CK
CK

Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:05 pm
Yes sashi. Good answer to read and enjoy and think. Razz  
Any way if someone can tell accurately the turning point of price, I will buy at that point.  Very Happy

sashimaal wrote:Good answer  Razz

However if you are on margin, you should care about the price going down to 0   Very Happy

Yin-Yang wrote:

Keep the mind at 'Now'.

sashimaal
sashimaal
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:26 pm
Who wouldn't ? (if they have money to buy) Very Happy

CK wrote:Yes sashi. Good answer to read and enjoy and think. Razz  
Any way if someone can tell accurately the turning point of price, I will buy at that point.  Very Happy

sashimaal wrote:Good answer  Razz

However if you are on margin, you should care about the price going down to 0   Very Happy

Yin-Yang wrote:

Keep the mind at 'Now'.

Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:49 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
CK wrote:Yes sashi. Good answer to read and enjoy and think. Razz  
Any way if someone can tell accurately the turning point of price,+
+

Ohhh; that's doable.

Sometime ago, I offered to show a method to catch exact peaks and troughs. But no one was interested in; in fact, was told, trying catching exact turning points were unnecessary, counter productive and against the popular wisdom of trading.

If I feel like, I may offer it again some time later.

[That was the method which suggested RICH 7.7 and LIOC 31 and few more..]

කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:31 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Go ahead, we are listening.
(Buy when SSBs' are selling and Sell when they are buying is too vague method to predict anything). Very Happy
Yin-Yang wrote:[
Sometime ago, I offered to show a method to catch exact peaks and troughs. But no one was interested in; in fact, was told, trying catching exact turning points were unnecessary, counter productive and against the popular wisdom of trading.

If I feel like, I may offer it again some time later.

[That was the method which suggested RICH 7.7 and LIOC 31 and few more..]
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:05 pm
I do not see much eager and dedication to learn yet.
Hence will wait for the right time.
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:42 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Very eager. bounce
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:21 am
Backstage wrote:Very eager. bounce

Anyone think, it is needed to catch bottoms and tops?
Anyone believes it is possible with high reliability?

Most importantly, anyone has enough guts to jump in at the bottom?

[Anyone thought it was a wise idea to buy a Hybrid or electric car when the taxes were near 15% ?]
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:25 am
Yin-Yang wrote:

[Anyone thought it was a wise idea to buy a Hybrid or electric car when the taxes were near 15% ?]

Welll instead of buying the Subaru XV that I wanted, I bought REEF W19. Sad
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:36 am
Backstage wrote:
Yin-Yang wrote:

Welll instead of buying the Subaru XV that I wanted, I bought REEF W19. Sad

Now the million dollar question;

Under the same conditions, would you buy W19 again?

Now the two million dollar question;

Under the same conditions, would you keep it until expire?
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:43 am
No, no . Mad
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:40 pm
Good, it shows some capabilities of learning in the hard way.

Now, since REEF was mentioned;

How would you take it if I said REEF.N will be good to buy at 7.5 and sell subsequently at 9.0 ?

In other words, Reef will form a bottom at 7.5 and a peak at 9.0

Is anyone capable of comprehending how we can imagine that situation at this stage?
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:09 pm
I would say why go to REEF, (a complicated share with cowboy owners) for a 20% return when there are low risk undervalued shares available ie; CFIN SAMP......
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:00 pm
Backstage wrote:I would say why go to REEF, (a complicated share with cowboy owners) for a 20% return when there are low risk undervalued shares available ie; CFIN SAMP......

Fine!: If I am to put your present requirement straight;
It should go something like;
You want to find some dependable way to catch bottoms of 'undervalued' shares.

Correct?

If so, what are your pet shares at this stage, aiming fro bottoms; apart from SAMP, CFIN and naturally ALLI ?
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:22 am
Yin-Yang wrote:
Backstage wrote:I would say why go to REEF, (a complicated share with cowboy owners) for a 20% return when there are low risk undervalued shares available ie; CFIN SAMP......

Fine!: If I am to put your present requirement straight;
It should go something like;
You want to find some dependable way to catch bottoms of 'undervalued' shares.

Correct?

If so, what are your pet shares at this stage, aiming fro bottoms; apart from SAMP, CFIN and naturally ALLI ?

Oh, Thought you were going to outline a general strategy of bottom/ top catching and not one customized for my pf. I am not buying at the moment, and waiting for some selling opportunities, BFL,GRAN, ALLI. Watching commodity markets in next couple of quarters to decide on CINV and CIT ( my big boo boos) LFIN,TJ, CDB, LMF, DISTI am stingily holding on to. Don't have CFIN/SAMP but they look good. In my second pf (a green one) am looking to dump some ACL and hold on to APLA. Will also switch some PLC to something else after divi. A lot of convoluted stuff that I expect to simply in the next two quarters based on movements of individual shares. I expect to have a clear strategy in place by April /May. Hence am all ears and eyes at the moment.Smile
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:43 am
May be luck made me to take a tough decision... Anyway I was even evaluating wether to sell the entire PF by last August as it complete my ten years in CSE. What finally I did was selling half of my PF ( which was LIOC) and moving that to savings.. It saved me and I am now happy to just utilize my savings interest to buy shares where dividend yield will be above 7%...

In that way I am playing a safe game and of course not worried about market going down as it gives me opportunities to identify and buy shares...
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:26 am
Backstage wrote:
+
+

Oh, Thought you were going to outline a general strategy of bottom/ top catching and not one customized for my pf.
+
+

The approach we can take is to;
see how things work for some familiar counter, then;
generalize the strategy, then;
try to see if the strategy would work for other counters.

+++++++
We can call it a scientific approach, where;
we observe a small sample, then;
come up with our theory, then;
apply it on a broader sample and check for validity.

++++++
Since mentioned by you and YK, we'll consider at this stage the following counters;

LIOC
BFL
GRAN
ALLI
CINV
CIT
ACL
APLA
PLC

++++++++

First of all,

What do you mean by a TOP ? and
what do you mean by a Bottom, from your point of view ?
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:34 pm
Ok, I hear you. If you throw in RICH, MELTA and HAYL it would make it more interesting to me. If its too much, drop it.

Top/Bottom = close to the cusp of peaks/troughs of trend reversals.
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:17 pm
Backstage wrote:Ok, I hear you. If you throw in RICH, MELTA and HAYL it would make it more interesting to me. If its too much, drop it.

Top/Bottom = close to the cusp of peaks/troughs of trend reversals.

We can add DiST and HAYL.

+++

We need to be a little more specific in the way defining the Top/Bottom.
Are we talking of years, months, weeks or days?

What is the Price % difference between a Top and Bottom you expect ? How long are you willing to wait for the top or bottom to reach?

[Ready made, mass produced, vague strategies are meant to bring in failures; so, you need to custom make your one]
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:43 pm
Say 18 month band. 40% up down.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum