The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
When Will It Be Safe To Invest In The Stock Market Again?Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Dividend AnnouncementsWed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
MAINTENANCE NOTICE / නඩත්තු දැනුම්දීමThu Apr 06, 2023 3:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 amyellow knife
The Korean Way !Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
In the Meantime Within Our Shores! Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What is Known as Dementia?Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
THE LANKA HOSPITALS CORPORATION PLC (LHCL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Equinox ( වසන්ත විෂුවය ) !Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMB.N0000 (Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
REXP.N0000 (Richard Pieris Exports PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
RICH.N0000 (Richard Pieris and Company PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Do You Have Computer Vision Syndrome?Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
LAXAPANA BATTERIES PLC (LITE.N0000)Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What a Bank Run ?Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTERWed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pmkatesmith1304
GLAS.N0000 (Piramal Glass Ceylon PLC)Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Cboe Volatility Index Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AHPL.N0000Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
TJL.N0000 (Tee Jey Lanka PLC.)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CTBL.N0000 ( CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC (COMD. N.0000))Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:43 pmyellow knife
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CSD.N0000 (Seylan Developments PLC)Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 amyellow knife
PLC.N0000 (People's Leasing and Finance PLC) Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Bakery Products ?Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
NTB.N0000 (Nations Trust Bank PLC)Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Going South Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
When Seagulls Follow the TrawlerThu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Re-activatingSat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
APLA.N0000 (ACL Plastics PLC)Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AVOID FALLING INTO ALLURING WEEKEND FAMILY PACKAGES.Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Banks, Finance & Insurance Sector ChartTue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
VPEL.N0000 (Vallibel Power Erathna PLC)Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DEADLY COCKTAIL OF ISLAND MENTALITY AND PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER MIX.Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
WATA - WatawalaSat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
KFP.N0000(Keels Food Products PLC)Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Capital Trust Broker in difficulty?Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
IS PIRATING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY A BOON OR BANE?Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What Industry Would You Choose to Focus?Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:39 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Should I Stick Around, or Should I Follow Others' Lead?Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:07 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DV-2024 Program: Online RegistrationThu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Tile - SnapshotWed Sep 28, 2022 12:45 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Disclaimer

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Will YOU VOTE for ME if I run for SL PRESIDENCY?

+15
malanp
serene
spw19721
PANTOMATH
Yin-Yang
Ethical Trader
Seyon
Defender
CK
ruwan326
nihal123
The Invisible
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
yellow knife
slstock
19 posters
Go down
Ethical Trader
Ethical Trader
Top contributor
Top contributor

Will YOU  VOTE for ME if I run for SL PRESIDENCY?  - Page 4 Empty Re: Will YOU VOTE for ME if I run for SL PRESIDENCY?

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:59 pm
The answers to the two important questions are (a) Yes this system should be changed with a third force (a main stream political party or a like minded coalition of parties/individuals) but not with lone individuals. (b) I am not going to vote for any one next time.
slstock wrote:ET,

Few months ago someone in a discussion asked "then whom to vote in SL."

Then I went to explain in detail ( can't recall where I posted to give link) the issue with SL people is that they support the 2 main parties and they won't vote for any other person even if they are a good candidate.

Well, you are echoing the same concern I had  so I cannot obviously disagree.

But let me  ask 2 questions  

1) So when is this  change ( letting a suitable candidate come through) going to happen , if we ( PUBLIC)  still want to accept the current system  and let it to continue?  

2)  Will you vote for Kodithuwakku or Pallewatte then  knowing ...  

what Kithsiri revealed on the  history  of some of them and also stating they are backed by Basil Rajapakse.

Here are 2  facts as far as I know

1) The Public of country  gets the Leader they DESERVE and ALLOW

2) In DEMOCRACY the PUBLIC is above the  Legislature, Executive and Judiciary .

Ethical Trader wrote:Dear SLS,
your question whether I want my list of qualifications to be the future "truth" also depends on the ground situation in the future.

If
(a) our parliamentarians vote for MR as PM when they meet on the 16th of November,
(b) the people in Sri Lanka also approve the current changes (which are questionable) at the next elections,
(c) thereafter the MR government and the crowd reverse all legal proceedings against them and start robbing the country again

?can we expect a future where independent ethical professionals and leaders (sans ill gotten bounties) be able to contest & win Presidential elections without the backing of corrupt main parties The answer is no.

All your good intentions to take the country in the right path and our backing for your independent candidacy will be in wain.

In such a situation I have two options-

(a) abstain from voting or show my displeasure by cancelling my vote with nasty remarks on the ballet paper, or

(b) give a protest vote to a person like you (again to show my displeasure about the corrupt system knowing very well that you are unable to win under this corrupt system.)

Irrespective of my choice the "system" will prosper. Hence, your initial question whether I would vote for you is irrelevant.

That is why I said no at the very start. Its is not because I do not like you or your yeoman service to the society. In my opinion, you are the very best candidate for the Presidency if these corrupt systems do not sit on your way to Presidency.

My way of thinking prompts me to deal with the main corrupt political systems first prior to contesting the elections.
The Invisible
The Invisible

Will YOU  VOTE for ME if I run for SL PRESIDENCY?  - Page 4 Empty Re: Will YOU VOTE for ME if I run for SL PRESIDENCY?

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:29 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
The Invisible wrote:Looked like a parliamentary election is on the cards before presidential revenue. Be ready to change in plans.

So as written finally parliament is dissolved. General Election to be held on 5th Jan 2019. One thing certain is that UPFA led by MR will now get at least 115 seats. With that estimation ASPI will run dramatically during rest of the period till election date.

A temporary period of market boom to be expected.
ruwan326
ruwan326

Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:08 am
It's been 4 years I avoid Politics/Media and Clergy in Sri lanka.

Why???????
1-you waste so much time and money for these 3 parties and you loose for your self.

2-All the systems(including above 3) in this world created by  richest to control rest of the world-people.

3-Your whole life you run behind numbers, 1-time 2-days and 3- salary.

4-All the systems are wrong,Ex....
a- system teach you 2+2=4 ,2-2=0 but basic human needs provided by nature and numbers worthless in nature.
b- History, they say Sri lankan people come from King Vijaya and if you check that is impossible ....

Will YOU  VOTE for ME if I run for SL PRESIDENCY?  - Page 4 F10110

So if you want to make this country a better one I think you need to focus on your self first, bring the best out of you as a human being. then your family,neighbors,town etc

Finally, Let go the other speeds around you with out absorbing them or reacting to them.This world mean speed(rotation of earth is 400m per second) and you need to understand the universal laws and free your self from slavery.
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:15 am
Nice theory. Very Happy
ruwan326 wrote:It's been 4 years I avoid Politics/Media and Clergy in Sri lanka.

Why???????
1-you waste so much time and money for these 3 parties and you loose for your self.

2-All the systems(including above 3) in this world created by  richest to control rest of the world-people.

3-Your whole life you run behind numbers, 1-time 2-days and 3- salary.

4-All the systems are wrong,Ex....
a- system teach you 2+2=4 ,2-2=0 but basic human needs provided by nature and numbers worthless in nature.
b- History, they say Sri lankan people come from King Vijaya and if you check that is impossible ....

Will YOU  VOTE for ME if I run for SL PRESIDENCY?  - Page 4 F10110

So if you want to make this country a better one I think you need to focus on your self first, bring the best out of you as a human being. then your family,neighbors,town etc

Finally, Let go the other speeds around you with out absorbing them or reacting to them.This world mean speed(rotation of earth is 400m per second) and you need to understand the universal laws and free your self from slavery.
Brave Heart

Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:01 am
This situation has created a strong opportunity to an alternate political force/movement to gain substantial influence in the parliament. Who can create that force/movement.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:41 pm
What going to be the Verdict of Parliament Dissolvement ?
Will you be surprised ?

slstock wrote:
Reg President Dissolving Parliament

Alright here is what I understand

1)  19th Amendment Article 33(2)(c) says President can dissolve Parliament.

2) But 19A  ,Article  70(1) included a proviso preventing the president from dissolving parliament until a lapse of four and-a-half years from the first meeting !  

But if 2/3rd of Parliament vote to dissolve , President can dissolve.

So there 2 confusions

a) The question is whether the powers specified in Article 33(2) are stand-alone or subject to Article 70 which restricts dissolution within four and-a-half years.  

b) There is a confusion between the Sinhala and English translation of the Constitution which is not identical ( will not go into details) . Anyway I believe the Sinhala version should prevail over English.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most importantly is the President dissolving the Parliament legal  or not  even if he wants to ?

Note :

i) The 19th amendment was adopted on 15 May 2015
ii) Current parliament came to office August 2015.

So can it be dissolved Constitutionally and Legally until 2020 ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It no secret that President is under fire on all walks of life ( from his 2014 behavior, recent PM firing act , insulting RW personal life on "Samanallu", acting funny during Jathika geeya etc etc)

If he is going to dissolve he better get his Legal points right this time.    

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This thread was not about MS, RW or MR.

But I am taking time to discuss such as it is a national matter which affect all  
and also related to the topic.

Okay we are all awaiting the Supreme court verdict reg  Dissolving Parliament

1) 18 Cases are on going.
   Only 3 are agreeing President is right. Vaasu, GL ,  Wimal agrees.
  Even Election Commission disagrees.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2) Attorney General claims President has the power to dissolve and court
should not be involved .!

But Attorney General is bound by duty to represent the President!
So is he interpreting the law correctly or not ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3)

The reasons given by President to Dissolve the Parliament
loosely interpreted are

a) Because UNP was buying MP to have majority
( well President party tried to buy too didn't they)

b) There would be Unrest and Bloodshed if Parliament was convened

c) Speaker was not listening to President orders  

Note : There is unofficial speculated hidden reason why President dissolved the Parliament? Can you guess what?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4) What will be the verdict ?

There are 2 sides we need to look at as Presidential Duty

a) To uphold the Constitution
b) To uphold Democracy and represent the people  of the country

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5) Now according to ethical practices and upholding Democracy
 I believe President did an authoritarian move  to protect his interest
 more than the people  !  This is undemocratic.

But looking at the loose wordings and  loop holes in the Constitution  ,
 and how it is interpreted ( as I explained  before  in detail)  am not sure  President
 can get away with   a Legal / Constitutional loop hole  to say he is right .

Will you be surprised if that happens?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6)

Anyway  GL Peiris has agreed with President move now.

But below is what he said in 2015 !

What an amazing person . He is a Prof in Law !  
Shameful how his words changed .

( what ever party you belong to you need to agree  educated
people should not  behave this way for personal benefits)

Ethical Trader
Ethical Trader
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:09 pm
Even if the President has power under the constitution to remove PMs, prorogation of parliament and de-solve the parliament, he should use it with plausible reasons. Not otherwise.

If he has used such powers without such reasons he is unable to draw that power legally under the constitution. Hence, all his actions can be nullified by the courts.
Brave Heart

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:14 pm
The Courts have suspended the dissolution of Parliament today. Accordingly the President has to convene the parliament again. And this will mark as serious misrepresentation of the Constitution by the President in the history of Sri Lanka.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:27 pm
Yes, Just heard too Court have given a Interim Order
to suspend Parliament dissolvement .

This is a historic move by the Courts. In international eye too this will given a better picture of the democracy in Sri Lanka and Independence of Judiciary .  Some countries  were awaiting to enforce embargos and trade implications  on Sri Lanka !

Brave Heart

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:41 pm
The Gazette is suspended till 7th December. Now the question is whether President can postpone the Parliament till 7th December.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:34 pm
Will YOU  VOTE for ME if I run for SL PRESIDENCY?  - Page 4 Firefo10

Heard ( unconfirmed)    :

1) Speaker has been attacked with Trash bin and Water Bottle!
2) Fight occurred with Navin Dissanayake and Prasanna Ranaweera
3)  Sydney Jayaratne who was trying to mediate  between all parties
 who came close to the Speaker has fallen down
4) Dilum Amunugama  got injured trying to remove Speaker microphone,
and was sent to the hospital

Where is the President now amongst all the commotion ?
Who created this mess ?

Is this acceptable behavior at Uththarithara Parlimenthuwa ( what ever political
party you belong to ) !
Am so glad this is not on live telecast for the world to see.

Is this the people  we send to parliament who should be examples to public  !
Why do we elect Thugs and Hooligans !

Proposal :  

We need to also remove from law which lets  MP jump parties for benefits without losing his/her status ! This allows all sorts of problems as we saw !
They jump from Aandu pakshaya to Vispakshaya and back to Aandu paksha and back to vipaksha and vice versa ! What a joke!

This behavior was allowed after Sarath  N Silva. It should be banned as it encourages jumping from party to party for benefits ( without principles )

Last edited by slstock on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
ruwan326
ruwan326

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:48 pm
slstock wrote:Will YOU  VOTE for ME if I run for SL PRESIDENCY?  - Page 4 Firefo10

1)  Speaker has been attacked with Trash bin and Water Bottle!

Who created this mess !

Is this acceptable behavior at Uththarithara Parlimenthuwa!

Proposal :  

We need to also remove from law which lets  MP jump parties for benefits without losing his/her status ! This allows all sorts of problems as we saw !

This was allowed after Sarath  N Silva.

Will YOU  VOTE for ME if I run for SL PRESIDENCY?  - Page 4 Ddddd11
LSE
LSE
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:52 pm
Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  

slstock wrote:Will YOU  VOTE for ME if I run for SL PRESIDENCY?  - Page 4 Firefo10

1)  Speaker has been attacked with Trash bin and Water Bottle!

Who created this mess !

Is this acceptable behavior at Uththarithara Parlimenthuwa!

Proposal :  

This was allowed after Sarath  N Silva.
Seyon
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:35 pm
I decided now hereafter i will never vote to these donkeys.
CK
CK

Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:08 pm
Seyon wrote:I decided now hereafter i will never vote to these donkeys.  
No mate. They are not donkeys but us Very Happy
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:09 pm
slstock wrote:

Too late. I saw some of the footage in International Media.

WATCH, WEEP AND BE ASHAMED OF WHAT WE SENT TO PARLIAMENT !

1) Speaker has been attacked with Trash bin and Water Bottle!

Who created this mess ?  

Is this acceptable behavior at Uththarithara Parlimenthuwa  ( what ever political
party you belong to ) !

malanp

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:28 pm
There are few who were not part of this tragedy..

Arjuna, Sampandan, Sarath Fosneka, Ranil.. they did not want to fight..
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:58 pm
We all should be ashamed of ourselves of selecting such a bunch of rowdies to represent us in the parliament.
Now the whole world is laughing at us.
This should be taken as the Turning Point to find an alternative.
malanp

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:04 pm
I think the man really responsible for this sorry state of parliament is MR.. He has instructed his men to disrupt the sessions whenever UNP demanded a vote, as he has not got 113 number. so henchmen do exactly his leader ask them to do..UNP MPs are not wrong today as they just asked for a vote, then the disturbance done by MR men..
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:06 pm
There is no doubt about that because MR is known for such acts. Mad

malanp wrote:I think the man really responsible for this sorry state of parliament is MR.. He has instructed his men to disrupt the sessions whenever UNP demanded a vote, as he has not got 113 number. so henchmen do exactly his leader ask them to do..UNP MPs are not wrong today as they just asked for a vote, then the disturbance done by MR men..
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:14 pm
The biggest mistake RW did was, not that he brought in a crook friend of him to rob the SLCB but simply ignoring the elders’ wisdom.

විසගොර සර්පයා දැක නාරු මෝඩයා.

If he had done this on the 09th of January by bringing in Treason charges against MR, three years ago, things would have changed better not only for him but for the whole country.
Ethical Trader
Ethical Trader
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:21 pm
MR said in his speech that the UNP should allow the Parliament to resolve this issue democratically. Then when the speaker called for a vote, rowdies started the commotion.

?Can any one explain what MR meant by "UNP should allow the Parliament to resolve this issue democratically"
malanp

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:34 pm
MR gang do all disruptions in the parliament as they dont have 113..
By hook or crook they want to achieve what they want, with zero regard to the law and order of the parliament..
then they all blame the speaker.. what a cunning approach to fool sinhala donkeys,,
imagine if they rule the country what state the country would be???

I think majority we Sinhala people do not need a democratic system,, we need a military junta to run the country.
ruwan326
ruwan326

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:04 pm
Which party you choose.............. MR or RW?????

nihal123
nihal123
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:13 pm
Slstock, Your proposal is good. It is the main reason for this problem.  The jumping frog should stop.We  have to only  wait.

Sad
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum