The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
CCS.N0000 ( Ceylon Cold Stores)Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:31 amHawk Eye
When Will It Be Safe To Invest In The Stock Market Again?Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Dividend AnnouncementsWed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
MAINTENANCE NOTICE / නඩත්තු දැනුම්දීමThu Apr 06, 2023 3:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 amyellow knife
The Korean Way !Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
In the Meantime Within Our Shores! Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What is Known as Dementia?Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
THE LANKA HOSPITALS CORPORATION PLC (LHCL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Equinox ( වසන්ත විෂුවය ) !Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMB.N0000 (Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
REXP.N0000 (Richard Pieris Exports PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
RICH.N0000 (Richard Pieris and Company PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Do You Have Computer Vision Syndrome?Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
LAXAPANA BATTERIES PLC (LITE.N0000)Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What a Bank Run ?Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTERWed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pmkatesmith1304
GLAS.N0000 (Piramal Glass Ceylon PLC)Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Cboe Volatility Index Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AHPL.N0000Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
TJL.N0000 (Tee Jey Lanka PLC.)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CTBL.N0000 ( CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC (COMD. N.0000))Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:43 pmyellow knife
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CSD.N0000 (Seylan Developments PLC)Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 amyellow knife
PLC.N0000 (People's Leasing and Finance PLC) Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Bakery Products ?Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
NTB.N0000 (Nations Trust Bank PLC)Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Going South Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
When Seagulls Follow the TrawlerThu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Re-activatingSat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
APLA.N0000 (ACL Plastics PLC)Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AVOID FALLING INTO ALLURING WEEKEND FAMILY PACKAGES.Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Banks, Finance & Insurance Sector ChartTue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
VPEL.N0000 (Vallibel Power Erathna PLC)Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DEADLY COCKTAIL OF ISLAND MENTALITY AND PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER MIX.Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
WATA - WatawalaSat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
KFP.N0000(Keels Food Products PLC)Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Capital Trust Broker in difficulty?Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
IS PIRATING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY A BOON OR BANE?Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What Industry Would You Choose to Focus?Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:39 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Should I Stick Around, or Should I Follow Others' Lead?Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:07 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DV-2024 Program: Online RegistrationThu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Disclaimer

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Will YOU VOTE for ME if I run for SL PRESIDENCY?

+15
malanp
serene
spw19721
PANTOMATH
Yin-Yang
Ethical Trader
Seyon
Defender
CK
ruwan326
nihal123
The Invisible
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
yellow knife
slstock
19 posters
Go down
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Will YOU  VOTE for ME if I run for SL PRESIDENCY?  - Page 3 Empty Re: Will YOU VOTE for ME if I run for SL PRESIDENCY?

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:25 pm
spw19721 wrote:Definitely count me in sir....we will vote you.

But... There is not much time left. 2020 is a tough target. But good start. May be 2025 can be achieved .

First of all Lets buy a media company to carry your message to the public...It is mandatory.

Was thinking about you SPW as you were not active here for a while. Good to see you. Btw, buying a media company sounds indeed a good idea . But issues like this ( where money is needed to be thrown around to campaign) is where people like me will have bottlenecks.

ruwan326
ruwan326

Will YOU  VOTE for ME if I run for SL PRESIDENCY?  - Page 3 Empty Re: Will YOU VOTE for ME if I run for SL PRESIDENCY?

Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:28 pm
slstock wrote:
spw19721 wrote:Definitely count me in sir....we will vote you.

But... There is not much time left. 2020 is a tough target. But good start. May be 2025 can be achieved .

First of all Lets buy a media company to carry your message to the public...It is mandatory.

Was thinking about you  SPW  as you were not active here for a while. Good to see you. Btw, buying a media company sounds indeed a good idea . But issues like this ( where money is needed to be thrown around to campaign)  is where people like me will have bottlenecks.

If you organize and put all your effort we have more than enough time till 2020 Very Happy

Social media is far better than Mass media, these days majority choose social media Wink

SLS you need to be 100% sure about your decision and no time to waste if you are in bounce

The issue we have on PM is a great window for you....By now many people realize that politicians don't give a Horse shit about people and they only care about power. Basketball

So if you are in for 2020 I will give my full support. king king king

Ethical Trader
Ethical Trader
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:48 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Dear SLS,
your question whether I want my list of qualifications to be the future "truth" also depends on the ground situation in the future.

If
(a) our parliamentarians vote for MR as PM when they meet on the 16th of November,
(b) the people in Sri Lanka also approve the current changes (which are questionable) at the next elections,
(c) thereafter the MR government and the crowd reverse all legal proceedings against them and start robbing the country again

?can we expect a future where independent ethical professionals and leaders (sans ill gotten bounties) be able to contest & win Presidential elections without the backing of corrupt main parties The answer is no.

All your good intentions to take the country in the right path and our backing for your independent candidacy will be in wain.

In such a situation I have two options-

(a) abstain from voting or show my displeasure by cancelling my vote with nasty remarks on the ballet paper, or

(b) give a protest vote to a person like you (again to show my displeasure about the corrupt system knowing very well that you are unable to win under this corrupt system.)

Irrespective of my choice the "system" will prosper. Hence, your initial question whether I would vote for you is irrelevant.

That is why I said no at the very start. Its is not because I do not like you or your yeoman service to the society. In my opinion, you are the very best candidate for the Presidency if these corrupt systems do not sit on your way to Presidency.

My way of thinking prompts me to deal with the main corrupt political systems first prior to contesting the elections.
Ethical Trader
Ethical Trader
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:25 am
Kith, Ranil did not make any mistake as per my understanding of the events then. He struck a deal with MR for his own survival. Both MR & Ranil benefited in the end.

Immediately after the Presidential election, Ranil had a secret meeting at odd hours with MR where they agreed to-

a) soft peddle most corruption cases against MR & family,
b) immediate withdrawal by MR & hand over power to Ranil,
c) not to make any issue when Ranil is made PM irrespective of the fact that Ranil did not enjoy majority in the then parliament.

Ranil had to buy SLFP MPs later to show the majority and the same trick has now boomeranged on Ranil.

Lately, Ranil could not keep to his agreement a) shown above due to sever pressure by civil society and special high courts had to be constituted which prompted the current constitutional conspiracy
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:Ivan Dissanayake is sleeping.
As I said in another thread, RW made a big mistake by not executing those guys on the charge of Treason after the 2015 election.
Now the whole country is in trouble with no good ending in sight.

The Invisible wrote:Now Basil is giving 200mn each for UNP MPs to get their consent. How does he get this money? Are they belong to him? Why he still able to stand on his feet and travel freely? The guy should have been in jail by now, isn't it?

Who cares all about these. NO ONE!!!!!!!
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:06 am
The NATO boys are bloody fools and they walk into traps set by others like stupid sheep.
See the yesterday's, mass uprising.
If you have the majority (as they claim) in the parliament, then no need to mobilise masses.
They have given you the mandate to execute promises and not to cry like a child who lost marbles and run to big Mama for help.
RW has proven that he is not a strategist or Wiseman as previously he was portraited by media and his foolish followers.
It is a just another case of ලුලා නැති වලේ කනයා පන්ඩිතයා only.
serene
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:38 am
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:The NATO boys are bloody fools and they walk into traps set by others like stupid sheep.
If you have the majority (as they claim) in the parliament, then no need to mobilise masses.
They have given you the mandate to execute promises and not to cry like a child who lost marbles and run to big Mama for help.
RW has proven that he is not a strategist or Wiseman as previously he was portraited by media and his foolish followers.
Good for thought.
Have to agree with Kith.

Last edited by serene on Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:39 am
Yin-Yang wrote:Hey, forgot to mention.

Few years ago, a CSE related forum had an election for the presidency. There was a very exciting voting process.

Any of you guys know who was elected as President there?

yellow knife wrote:Jiggysaurus

Jiggy was later just given a "sham" post ( appointed ) by all powerful GMNet
without any powers to do any mod activities as far as I know.

Jiggy just used that sham title to have some Jiggying fun.
Don't think that post had anything to do with an election as it was
given by GMNet.  

I think YY was  inferring a different instance.
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:49 am
Yeah it was pre-Jiggy era;
Only Myself and SLS can recall I guess.

yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:53 am
serene wrote:
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:The NATO boys are bloody fools and they walk into traps set by others like stupid sheep.
Good for thought.
Have to agree with Kith.

LTTE purposely killed possible next Leaders of UNP. What is remaining in leadership is what is purposely left by LTTE.

Anyway we are deviating from the topic.

SLS

If you are serious, please read 48 rules of POWER.. Politics is nothing else but power game. This book will give you enough examples.

There were few Honest people in politics. Abraham Lincoln may be one. Harry S.Truman was another. Even then in some books , it says former Presidents of US lobby on behalf of Industrialists at a price. In one such it has accused even Truman for doing that. However Truman who was not even given Presidents pension depended his retired life on his former military jobs pension. If that is the fate of US, how about it in SL.

Clinton pardoned Marc Rich as his final duty on final day in office to be rewarded a half a billion USD as a donation for Clinton fund.

Will YOU  VOTE for ME if I run for SL PRESIDENCY?  - Page 3 Clinton-pardon-marc-rich-800x416
Ethical Trader
Ethical Trader
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:35 pm
As I stressed before also around 70% of our voters are married to the two main political parties and all other contestants out side the two main parties will be competing for the balance 30%.

If the JVP becomes the third force, they will be able to attract a sizable portion of that 30% leaving all other contestants from small parties/independent just a fraction of that 30%.

However much you are qualified morally and professionally in ethical sense and the two candidates from the main parties have no such qualities at all we are left with limited options when it comes to real voting.

They are (a) refrain from voting or (b) cancellation of the vote or (c) vote for you knowing very well that your chances of winning are very remote.
serene
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:44 pm
Ethical Trader wrote:As I stressed before also around 70% of our voters are married to the two main political parties and all other contestants out side the two main parties will be competing for the balance 30%.

If the JVP becomes the third force, they will be able to attract a sizable portion of that 30% leaving all other contestants from small parties/independent just a fraction of that 30%.

However much you are qualified morally and professionally in ethical sense and the two candidates from the main parties have no such qualities at all we are left with limited options when it comes to real voting.

They are (a) refrain from voting or (b) cancellation of the vote or (c) vote for you knowing very well that your chances of winning are very remote.  
Yap ET.
Till this 70% get reduced at least to 50% we just have to sit and watch dirty play. The sad reality of the Island.
ruwan326
ruwan326

Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:17 pm
රටේ පවතින තත්වය ...........

Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:01 pm
ruwan326 wrote:රටේ පවතින තත්වය ...........

I endorse most of what he says.
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:18 pm
Agreed....
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:00 am
Yin-Yang wrote:
ruwan326 wrote:රටේ පවතින තත්වය ...........

I endorse most of what he says.

So was NK's injunction against the President dismissed by the Courts due to

a) him not knowing the law  ( he confidently speaks here )
b) the courts  being influenced

Last edited by slstock on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:17 am
ET,

Few months ago someone in a discussion asked "then whom to vote in SL."

Then I went to explain in detail ( can't recall where I posted to give link) the issue with SL people is that they support the 2 main parties and they won't vote for any other person even if they are a good candidate.

Well, you are echoing the same concern I had  so I cannot obviously disagree.

But let me  ask 2 questions  

1) So when is this  change ( letting a suitable candidate come through) going to happen , if we ( PUBLIC)  still want to accept the current system  and let it to continue?  

2)  Will you vote for Kodithuwakku or Pallewatte then  knowing ...  

what Kithsiri revealed on the  history  of some of them and also stating they are backed by Basil Rajapakse.

Here are 2  facts as far as I know

1) The Public of country  gets the Leader they DESERVE and ALLOW

2) In DEMOCRACY the PUBLIC is above the  Legislature, Executive and Judiciary .

Ethical Trader wrote:Dear SLS,
your question whether I want my list of qualifications to be the future "truth" also depends on the ground situation in the future.

If
(a) our parliamentarians vote for MR as PM when they meet on the 16th of November,
(b) the people in Sri Lanka also approve the current changes (which are questionable) at the next elections,
(c) thereafter the MR government and the crowd reverse all legal proceedings against them and start robbing the country again

?can we expect a future where independent ethical professionals and leaders (sans ill gotten bounties) be able to contest & win Presidential elections without the backing of corrupt main parties The answer is no.

All your good intentions to take the country in the right path and our backing for your independent candidacy will be in wain.

In such a situation I have two options-

(a) abstain from voting or show my displeasure by cancelling my vote with nasty remarks on the ballet paper, or

(b) give a protest vote to a person like you (again to show my displeasure about the corrupt system knowing very well that you are unable to win under this corrupt system.)

Irrespective of my choice the "system" will prosper. Hence, your initial question whether I would vote for you is irrelevant.

That is why I said no at the very start. Its is not because I do not like you or your yeoman service to the society. In my opinion, you are the very best candidate for the Presidency if these corrupt systems do not sit on your way to Presidency.

My way of thinking prompts me to deal with the main corrupt political systems first prior to contesting the elections.
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:45 am
We have to take a bold decision soon.
නහයට උඩින් ගියාට පස්සේ ඔලුවටත් උඩින් ගියා කියලා ප්‍රශ්ණයක් නැහැනේ.
So why are we afraid of changes?
The Invisible
The Invisible

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:17 am
Looked like a parliamentary election is on the cards before presidential revenue. Be ready to change in plans.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:25 am
So

1)  Under what specific legally approved procedure will Parliament be dismissed ?

2) Also who should be ready to  change what plan?
The Invisible
The Invisible

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:51 am
slstock wrote:So

1)  Under what specific legally approved procedure will Parliament be dismissed ?

2) Also who should be ready to  change what plan?

Legal experts point out under section 33.3 or 32.3 something the President can dissolve the parliament which has not been removed from the 19th amendment to constitution

So in case that happens people need to focus on a government first before an individual ( president) so can there be an alternative political force to the main stream parties. This is what I meant.
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:45 am
slstock wrote:
+
+

But let me  ask 2 questions  

1) So when is this  change ( letting a suitable candidate come through) going to happen , if we ( PUBLIC)  still want to accept the current system  and let it to continue?  

2)  Will you vote for Kodithuwakku or Pallewatte then  knowing ...  

what Kithsiri revealed on the  history  of some of them and also stating they are backed by Basil Rajapakse.

+
+]

Something interesting with NK is; he talks about voting for his 'to be presented' new legislature,  not voting for him as a person.

That's a good start (or re-start).

It's not the head we need to change; we desperately need the change in our systems & policies.
The Invisible
The Invisible

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:49 am
Legal experts were referring to this clause and they say 19th Amendment has not replaced this clause.

33. (1) It shall be the duty of the President to -
(a) ensure that the Constitution is respected and upheld;
(b) promote national reconciliation and integration;
(c) ensure and facilitate the proper functioning of the Constitutional Council and the institutions referred to in Chapter VIIA; and
(d) on the advice of the Election Commission, ensure the creation of proper conditions for the conduct of free and fair elections and referenda.
(2) In addition to the powers, duties and functions expressly conferred or imposed on, or assigned to the President by the Constitution or other written law, the President shall have the power -
(a) to make the Statement of Government Policy in Parliament at the commencement of each session of Parliament;
(b) to preside at ceremonial sittings of Parliament;
(c) to summon, prorogue and dissolve Parliament;
The Invisible
The Invisible

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:55 am
The 19th amendment

http://slembassyusa.org/downloads/19th_Amendment_S.pdf
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:38 pm

Reg President Dissolving Parliament

Alright here is what I understand

1)  19th Amendment Article 33(2)(c) says President can dissolve Parliament.

2) But 19A  ,Article  70(1) included a proviso preventing the president from dissolving parliament until a lapse of four and-a-half years from the first meeting !  

But if 2/3rd of Parliament vote to dissolve , President can dissolve.

So there 2 confusions

a) The question is whether the powers specified in Article 33(2) are stand-alone or subject to Article 70 which restricts dissolution within four and-a-half years.  

b) There is a confusion between the Sinhala and English translation of the Constitution which is not identical ( will not go into details) . Anyway I believe the Sinhala version should prevail over English.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most importantly is the President dissolving the Parliament legal  or not  even if he wants to ?

Note :

i) The 19th amendment was adopted on 15 May 2015
ii) Current parliament came to office August 2015.

So can it be dissolved Constitutionally and Legally until 2020 ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It no secret that President is under fire on all walks of life ( from his 2014 behavior, recent PM firing act , insulting RW personal life on "Samanallu", acting funny during Jathika geeya etc etc)

If he is going to dissolve he better get his Legal points right this time.    

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This thread was not about MS, RW or MR.

But I am taking time to discuss such as it is a national matter which affect all  
and also related to the topic.
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:54 pm
Any lawyers here... who can advice us on above issues?
But , even the experts share different views.

Lawyers are like Buddhist Monks. What they preach is based on what Party Politics they prefer.

One thing is clear .

All the constitutions as well as amendments here are done based on one principle.

Self-interest.

In US the founding fathers who got at Philadelphia to agree upon shared some common factors.

They are fathers. ( No mothers among them).

No Minority representatives...

Yet when we were transforming into an independent nation, the British always based on Race...In all Solbery Commision , Baybrook Commission, the representatives were selected from each Race. Even now our politics is Race based.

Means we will never see as Sri Lankans...

Apre moi Le-deluge

I don't care what happens after my departure.....

This was the whole thinking of Constitutions as well as Amendments. ( I am referring SL)

1. JRJ created 1977 may be believing no one else would get 2/3 Majority.

2. 18th Amendment by MR believing he only would be elected 3 times
3. 19th Amendment by RW believing he will never be elected by people for President, and thus to enjoy unlimited power

RW now lament on Constitutional Violations.. He signed Norway pact , well before 19th Amendment...

Can a PM sign such a nationally important document when Executive President is staying over him? Who questioned that?
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum