The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
When Will It Be Safe To Invest In The Stock Market Again?Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Dividend AnnouncementsWed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
MAINTENANCE NOTICE / නඩත්තු දැනුම්දීමThu Apr 06, 2023 3:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 amyellow knife
The Korean Way !Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
In the Meantime Within Our Shores! Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What is Known as Dementia?Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
THE LANKA HOSPITALS CORPORATION PLC (LHCL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Equinox ( වසන්ත විෂුවය ) !Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMB.N0000 (Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
REXP.N0000 (Richard Pieris Exports PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
RICH.N0000 (Richard Pieris and Company PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Do You Have Computer Vision Syndrome?Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
LAXAPANA BATTERIES PLC (LITE.N0000)Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What a Bank Run ?Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTERWed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pmkatesmith1304
GLAS.N0000 (Piramal Glass Ceylon PLC)Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Cboe Volatility Index Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AHPL.N0000Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
TJL.N0000 (Tee Jey Lanka PLC.)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CTBL.N0000 ( CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC (COMD. N.0000))Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:43 pmyellow knife
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CSD.N0000 (Seylan Developments PLC)Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 amyellow knife
PLC.N0000 (People's Leasing and Finance PLC) Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Bakery Products ?Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
NTB.N0000 (Nations Trust Bank PLC)Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Going South Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
When Seagulls Follow the TrawlerThu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Re-activatingSat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
APLA.N0000 (ACL Plastics PLC)Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AVOID FALLING INTO ALLURING WEEKEND FAMILY PACKAGES.Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Banks, Finance & Insurance Sector ChartTue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
VPEL.N0000 (Vallibel Power Erathna PLC)Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DEADLY COCKTAIL OF ISLAND MENTALITY AND PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER MIX.Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
WATA - WatawalaSat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
KFP.N0000(Keels Food Products PLC)Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Capital Trust Broker in difficulty?Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
IS PIRATING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY A BOON OR BANE?Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What Industry Would You Choose to Focus?Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:39 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Should I Stick Around, or Should I Follow Others' Lead?Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:07 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DV-2024 Program: Online RegistrationThu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Tile - SnapshotWed Sep 28, 2022 12:45 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Disclaimer

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Elsewhere vs SL : Honesty, Social responsibility , Word twisting and Decency

+7
malanp
Yin-Yang
Expert
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Ethical Trader
yellow knife
slstock
11 posters
Go down
CK
CK

Elsewhere vs SL : Honesty, Social responsibility , Word twisting and Decency - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsewhere vs SL : Honesty, Social responsibility , Word twisting and Decency

Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:07 am
Again proved Australians are cheaters... This is how they win matches...Smith should be banned for life as a lesson for new comers.
So now where aus.and SL stands in honesty?
(All r caught with video evidences.. So Smith have nothing to do other than crying... So don't be misguided by seen it)
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Elsewhere vs SL : Honesty, Social responsibility , Word twisting and Decency - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsewhere vs SL : Honesty, Social responsibility , Word twisting and Decency

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:24 am
Reply below

Last edited by slstock on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:39 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Yin-Yang wrote:
slstock wrote:
+
+
Presently, I am at a place where majority ( not all) of people are honest, law abiding, non manipulative ( with word or behavior)  and  are just decent humans who do care for their country and other people.  It so interesting when we talk or see them behave .

1) Believe it or not, I rarely seen anyone cross the road without a traffic light , even if there is No Police!

+
+

What a coincidence.

I also, once, visited a nearby country and saw a bunch of dogs, crowded by the road. I was with one of local friends talking near by.
The road was busy with all sort of vehicles running here and there.
Time to time, I noticed some dogs cross the road and moving to the opposite side. But to mu surprise, being dogs, all of them waited near the pedestrian crossing until the lights turn Green and then crossed the road politely along the crossing.

I asked my friend about that;
"How have these dogs learn to cross the road like that?"

Being a local living there, he was confident in his answer;
"Those who didn't cross like that don't exist anymore!"

YY,  I wanted a twist from you and you didn't exactly disappoint Smile

Some notes from this end

1) You seems to be fascinated with Dogs these days

2) This fictitious land of yours in the story am sure is not Vietnam, China or South Korea.
  ( am sure many will l know why I guess ).

3)  I like the punchline ending

"Those who didn't cross like that don't exist anymore!"

But what if the majority stopped and allowed the stray  dogs to cross !
The whole situation would be different !
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:54 am
Are ducks wiser than the so-called dogs Jiggy?  Very Happy

malanp

Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:52 am
CK wrote:Again proved Australians are cheaters... This is how they win matches...Smith should be banned for life as a lesson for new comers.
(All r caught with video evidences.. So Smith have nothing to do other than crying... So don't be misguided by seen it)

Cheating is everywhere in sport, once you get the winning mode, nothing can stop him.. But they should be given second chance.

That is how Justin Gatlin came back strongly and beat Usain Bolt at the end..

when criminals are released from prisons on parole, or on Wesak poya day, sportsmen should be given second, third chances.

after all they are not criminals..
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:26 pm
CK wrote:Again proved Australians are cheaters... This is how they win matches...Smith should be banned for life as a lesson for new comers.

I posted this video  for a  deeper matter exploration  as explained in my original post which
essentially needs to be discussed.

But on the Ball Tampering subject let visit the reality ...

1) For such cases, ICC regulation is  to give 3 demerit points and

a) Fine them from their match fee
b) and or Ban such people on the first incident for 1 match ONLY

2)  Yet Australia as a country, took it upon themselves to impose  the Heaviest  ban seen on Cricket for such an act . The 2 big name Cricketers involved are banned for  1  year  with further captaincy bans and other reprimands

3) In 2016, Faf du Plessis ( South Africa captain ) was also found ball tampering  against Australia and only was fined 100 percent of his match  fee ( no bans).  

4) In 2016 our own Sri Lankan, Dasun Shanaka was fined 75% of the match fee for Ball Tampering.  I don't think Sri Lanka or Cricket Authority  or Fans did anything to
impose anything more ?

In this case,

* Smith , Warner and Bancroft  was identified and severely punished for  their wrong doing
* the whole of Australia  dejected it  and gave them hell  ( which is a punishment itself)
* most importantly Smith and Warner has admitted  with genuine regret via public statement  to
 sincerely apologized to fans, aussie cricket  and parents.

Did  other people do it ?  It takes guts for someone to come out and Admit their mistake like they did even after  being punished.  

Humans make mistakes.. Some cheat people at a bigger scale with proof and yet they escape with obviously no confession or punishment.  As far as I can see, Australia  ( whether we like them or not) gave the biggest punishment  to these guys in History of the game for such an act.

I guess there are different ways to interpret and view things.

ps:  I am not fan of overall Aussie cricket team behavior over the decades either.  What happened during Murali time left almost a permanent dent on me. But we can't say every Aussie cricketer is bad due to the behavior of some . Most importantly when one of our  own  guys did something similar, what was the situation?
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:45 pm
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:
+

The people in developed nations trust you on your face value until the trust is broken.
(I bought a book on my last visit to the US and I started reading on my return only to realize that some of the pages were missing. A rare occurrence. I wrote to the publisher and in two weeks time, I got a brand new replacement sent in the mail.)

They are more helpful than us, as and when spoken to and or sought some assistance.

They are more tolerant than us too.

+
+
[/i]

Machan,

It's other way round.

Not developed nations become trusty and disciplined;
But,
when you become trusty and disciplined, the nation become developed.

Why Singapore became developed was because they got disciplined or were forced to be so long time ago.

Discipline sometimes cones inside out; other times injected from outside in.

Either way, it has consistently been working for nations.
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:57 pm
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:Are ducks wiser than the so-called dogs Jiggy?  Very Happy

The difference must have been the video evidence my friend.

Expert
Expert

Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:00 pm
A short answer with the limited time available:
Dear SLS, the foreigners appeared to be westerners, not Chinese or similar.
The feeling I got was they were scared, probably thinking I would misguide them or cheat in some way. They may have had bad experiences.

Regarding the ball tampering:
Mistakes are different to committing wrongs knowing they are wrong.
Yes, there shall be other chances when a wrong is done, to correct it; isn't that the whole purpose of re-birth? Even God endorses second or multiple chances.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:41 am

FOR YOUR WEEKEND READING/THINKING

To be the first or not : or to push or not push

Recently an  elderly Sri Lankan lady accompanied me to this attraction. At this place, there is a wooden Tower one needs to climb to see nice views from the top.

I wanted climb the tower  to take photos ( the lady wasn't able to and btw I like photography and am not sure there are others who does so for a hobby here?)

The way up and down the tower  only had 1 path. It was a busy day with lot of kids and visitors.  So I patiently waited at the bottom of the tower  ( maybe 5-10 mins) until  I got my turn to climb up.

After I came down , the lady told me

" I saw you waiting patiently forever. Why wait?  You need to push and hurry. You would have got to the top lot sooner. That what you do in life too "udata yanna" ( go to the the top).

I told the lady ,

" Did you notice how orderly most of these people are?  
 I know if I did it in our country it might be not wise.
 I just   don't feel like pushing these people . We all went to the top and it worked
out fine right? Besides that we are not in big hurry are we ? "

Yes this really happened. Maybe you can analyze incident and the depth here?  

ps :  Will not be surprised if no one comments or someone deviates from the depth of the message to  pick on something else that was written hehe Razz
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:21 am
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
slstock wrote:

Recently an  elderly Sri Lankan lady accompanied me to this attraction. At this place, there is a wooden Tower one needs to climb to see nice views from the top.

I wanted climb the tower  to take photos ( the lady wasn't able to and btw I like photography and am not sure there are others who does so for a hobby here?)

The way up and down the tower  only had 1 path. It was a busy day with lot of kids and visitors.  So I patiently waited at the bottom of the tower  ( maybe 5-10 mins) until  I got my turn to climb up.

" I saw you waiting patiently forever. Why wait?  You need to push and hurry. You would have got to the top lot sooner. That what you do in life too "udata yanna" ( go to the the top).

I told the lady ,

I just   don't feel like pushing these people . We all went to the top and it worked

ps :  Will not be surprised if no one comments or someone deviates from the depth of the message to  pick on something else that was written hehe Razz

Hehe this part so far has come true !
The Invisible
The Invisible

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:40 pm
slstock wrote:
slstock wrote:

I told the lady ,

As same as I have written to your other post the same is applied here. people will be only interested when they see a benefit, most of the time. Else they just on their own way. I don't know whether you are a catholic religion person but there is a nice story called ' the good Samarithan's story.

after reading your post I remembered this proverb. 'Short cuts can bring you to the top but it won't keep you their'. Not sure if it applies correctly here but sounds like.

Tc
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Fri May 11, 2018 1:01 pm
Chicken Fried Rice any one ?  

Elsewhere vs SL : Honesty, Social responsibility , Word twisting and Decency - Page 2 Thumb_600

Elsewhere vs SL : Honesty, Social responsibility , Word twisting and Decency - Page 2 CsvtEprXgAECNcE
In Sri Lanka at many regular food places/restaurants , if your order a portion of Chicken Fried rice or some meat Curry  , how often can you get the same quality/consistency on consecutive visits?  

How often do you get a "katta ( bone) instead of real meat?"  

Do we have to tell the waiter  "Please as favor can you put  good pieces of chicken ?"

Even after paying them money for a  nice looking product they advertise we need to beg to get them to
give what they promised/advertised !!!  

In Developed nations, the quality of food served is rather consistent and if one doesn't get what they ordered,  almost all restaurants will  without argument or harassment replace your order.

If they say chicken , actually the main component or highlight of the  dish will be chicken.

In SL, I remember well in my younger days , how I  fished  for non existent pieces of "mixed chicken" in  the friend rice!

What makes the difference ?

Beyond  any laws and competition between players, there is bigger fact why it happens in developed nations.

Customer satisfaction and decency.

In SL ... what is the issue?

THIS POST MAY LOOK LIKE ITS ABOUT CHICKEN DISHES. BUT IT IS TO HIGHLIGHT A DEEPER ISSUE( . Btw if you don't eat meat , just substitute "chicken" with Tofu

ps : notice the chicken fried rice photo above. I can guarantee you , there  many pieces of chicken hidden inside the rice ( Most places quality control and measure the chicken ( or any other main entree)  they put in dishes. So the quality  of the product remains the same whether people ask or not)

Last edited by slstock on Fri May 11, 2018 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Fri May 11, 2018 2:03 pm
The Invisible wrote:
slstock wrote:
slstock wrote:

I told the lady ,

As same as I have written to your other post the same is applied here. people will be only interested when they see a benefit, most of the time. Else they just on their own way. I don't know whether you are a catholic religion person but there is a nice story called ' the good Samarithan's story.

after reading your post I remembered this proverb. 'Short cuts can bring you to the top but it won't keep you their'. Not sure if it applies correctly here but sounds like.

Tc

Good post. Thumbs up.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Fri May 18, 2018 2:42 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
1) Below post titled "ජපානය: තත්පර විසිපහකට පෙර දුම්රිය පිටත් වූවාට 'සමාවෙන්න' by ET is relevant to this thread.

https://forum.lankaninvestor.com/t10610-topic#88469

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2) This is a comment made by some Sri Lankan person on the web. Talks about what he/she saw in Capitals of Malaysia and Thailand when on tour and relates it to Sri Lankan ways.

( though he exaggerates a bit on Bangkok and Kuala lumpur one will understand the meaning of what he is trying to say)

"අපි මෑතකදී තායිලන්තයේ සහ මැලේසියාවේ ටුවර් එකක් දැම්මා. බැංකොක් සහ ක්වාලාලුම්පූර් අගනගර දේකේ දඩාවතේ යන බල්ලො නෑ. අයාලේ යන හරක් නෑ. කපුටො නෑ. කොටින්ම මැස්සොත් නෑ. පාරෙ කුණු නෑ. මිනිස්සු පාරට කුණු විසි කරන්නෑ. උමතුවෙන් වගේ මිනිස්සු වාහන එළවන්නෑ. හෝන් එක උඩ වාඩි වෙලා ඉන්නෑ. රටක් විදියට අපි ඉන්න තැන ගැන සෑහෙන්න දුකක් හිතුනා. තව ගව් ගාණක් දුර යන්න තියෙනවා"

ps : While we were talking on this thread how to build a country, how many here are even willing to help to build a decent forum even?

As the writer said in his above note I too share the same sentiments ( as below)

"රටක් විදියට අපි ඉන්න තැන ගැන සෑහෙන්න දුකක් හිතුනා. තව ගව් ගාණක් දුර යන්න තියෙනවා"
Yin-Yang
Yin-Yang

Tue May 22, 2018 8:53 pm
slstock wrote:
+
+

2)  This is a comment made by some Sri Lankan person on the web. Talks about what he/she saw
+

හෝන් එක උඩ වාඩි වෙලා ඉන්නෑ. රටක් විදියට අපි ඉන්න තැන ගැන සෑහෙන්න දුකක් හිතුනා.
+
+

ඕක ඉතින් මහ ලොකු කජ්ජක් යැයි?
හෝන් ගහන එකාලයින් රුපියල් 500ක දඩයක් ගහන්ට කීවානං; රාලහමිලත් ගොඩ, සද්දෙත් නැහැ, අර රට ගිය බය්යන්ට අවුලකුත් නැහැ නෙව.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:46 am

INFUSING MORALS & ETHICS INTO SCHOOL CHILDREN

Do you know , in many Japanese schools there are no Janitors/Cleaners.
School children are made to  clean their own School premises and Bathrooms etc.

This is to teach them to

a) give gratitude to  their school
b) learn to be more productive members of society
c)  and respect their fellow students

Don't believe ?

Proof:
Here are 1st grade students in Japan cleaning their classroom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLo0phnh-kA

Smart! Save money and teach the young to be socially responsible.

Do you see where our problems start in Sri Lanka?
serene
Top contributor
Top contributor

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:04 am
As a Parents if we all can instill good habits, attitudes ,ethics , integrity to our children we can make this country better in atleast by next generation.
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:10 am
Every generation thinks that their successor is a failure when it comes to moral standards, ethical behaviour etc.
How did this happen?
If we are already broken then we can't fix the next generation (because inferior factories make inferior products).
What is the next alternative available to us, if we are really determined to change the direction?
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:39 am
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:Every generation thinks that their successor is a failure when it comes to moral standards, ethical behaviour etc.
How did this happen?
If we are already broken then we can't fix the next generation (because inferior factories make inferior products).
What is the next alternative available to us, if we are really determined to change the direction?

I guess we are talking about a Chicken an egg story here.

1) First we (adults) need to correct ourselves and set examples

That what I was trying to address before by the 2 threads :
i) Where we ( Adults) are going wrong
ii) What other Countries are doing right vs SL

```````````````````````````````````````````

2) Meantime we also have to start with the younger generations to teach the morals.

If/When good morals and attitudes are not there from a young age  it only grows worse with each stage in life.  It becomes even worse when parents are not examples
right?  

Why are Uni students out on the streets instead of taking advantage of free education?
Why are School kids attacking Teachers  ( well some parents are  technically !) ?

When they go to society , what is their thinking?
When they raise children what happens?
Is it a cycle is it not ?

Where does it start?

All Education starts at

a) Home
b) Then Kindergarden - > Primary school -> Secondary etc etc.

We start somewhere. We keep learning till we die.
Japan is doing it.

Us ?
Expert
Expert

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:26 am
Sorry, especially SLS. I was away after 1st April but got a tweet recently of this thread through sms and was keeping it to remind me to somehow come here. Do you believe that I could not check on the CSE since 20th March and now have lost a lot on my stock holdings?
Only DIAL has a little green and all others red; some lost by over 30+%
One thing, photography used to be my hobby until I got married. But, I still love to get engaged with it.
Expert
Expert

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:31 am
Wish I could write more but now it is half past midnight.
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:47 am
Great.
Post a few of your favourite shots here, please.  Very Happy
Expert wrote:
One thing, photography used to be my hobby until I got married. But, I still love to get engaged with it.
Expert
Expert

Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:22 pm
nihal123
nihal123
Top contributor
Top contributor

Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:50 pm
Expert
We like to see your favorite shots

Very Happy
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum