The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
CCS.N0000 ( Ceylon Cold Stores)Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:31 amHawk Eye
When Will It Be Safe To Invest In The Stock Market Again?Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Dividend AnnouncementsWed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
MAINTENANCE NOTICE / නඩත්තු දැනුම්දීමThu Apr 06, 2023 3:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 amyellow knife
The Korean Way !Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
In the Meantime Within Our Shores! Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What is Known as Dementia?Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
THE LANKA HOSPITALS CORPORATION PLC (LHCL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Equinox ( වසන්ත විෂුවය ) !Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMB.N0000 (Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
REXP.N0000 (Richard Pieris Exports PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
RICH.N0000 (Richard Pieris and Company PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Do You Have Computer Vision Syndrome?Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
LAXAPANA BATTERIES PLC (LITE.N0000)Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What a Bank Run ?Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTERWed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pmkatesmith1304
GLAS.N0000 (Piramal Glass Ceylon PLC)Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Cboe Volatility Index Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AHPL.N0000Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
TJL.N0000 (Tee Jey Lanka PLC.)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CTBL.N0000 ( CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC (COMD. N.0000))Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:43 pmyellow knife
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CSD.N0000 (Seylan Developments PLC)Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 amyellow knife
PLC.N0000 (People's Leasing and Finance PLC) Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Bakery Products ?Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
NTB.N0000 (Nations Trust Bank PLC)Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Going South Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
When Seagulls Follow the TrawlerThu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Re-activatingSat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
APLA.N0000 (ACL Plastics PLC)Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AVOID FALLING INTO ALLURING WEEKEND FAMILY PACKAGES.Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Banks, Finance & Insurance Sector ChartTue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
VPEL.N0000 (Vallibel Power Erathna PLC)Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DEADLY COCKTAIL OF ISLAND MENTALITY AND PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER MIX.Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
WATA - WatawalaSat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
KFP.N0000(Keels Food Products PLC)Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Capital Trust Broker in difficulty?Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
IS PIRATING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY A BOON OR BANE?Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What Industry Would You Choose to Focus?Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:39 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Should I Stick Around, or Should I Follow Others' Lead?Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:07 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DV-2024 Program: Online RegistrationThu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Disclaimer

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Go down
AjithR
AjithR

Kumar Sangakkara, the dazzling, kind perfectionist Sri Lanka cricket will miss like mad Empty Kumar Sangakkara, the dazzling, kind perfectionist Sri Lanka cricket will miss like mad

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:27 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Kumar Sangakkara, the dazzling, kind perfectionist Sri Lanka cricket will miss like mad - Paul Farbrace salutes the retiring hero in Wisden

14 APRIL 2016 • 7:00AM
By Paul Farbrace

“What do you think? How’s it looking?” It was another practice session at the Premadasa Stadium in Colombo, and Kumar Sangakkara was as inquisitive and conscientious as ever. And very precise. He wanted his back foot to move from middle and leg to middle and off. Not forward or back – just a fraction across, which allowed his shoulders and hips to align when facing right-arm seamers.

I was in the first of two coaching stints with Sri Lanka, as an assistant to Trevor Bayliss (a few years later I would return as head coach), and was doing my best to keep on top of the session. But I could see Sanga was hitting the ball nicely. “Brilliant,” I told him. “No problems whatsoever.”

Kumar Sangakkara heads to the nets for another demanding session CREDIT: AFS
He was unimpressed with my forensic analysis. “The first 10 balls I faced, I moved my back foot in four or five different ways,” he said. “If I ever ask you again, tell me the truth or don’t tell me anything.” It was a big lesson for me as a coach. And it told me plenty about Kumar Sangakkara.

One of Sanga’s first deeds after I arrived was to make 192 at Hobart after Australia had set us 507. We made 410, and Sanga was given out by Rudi Koertzen, caught at slip off shoulder and helmet: a stinker. That night we were in the hotel bar when the umpires walked in. There was a pause, then Sanga stepped forward: “Rudi! What can I get you to drink?”

If that was typical of him, so was the way in which he used that innings to get even better. Over a year later – by which stage he already had more than 6,000 Test runs – we were in the indoor school at Colombo’s SSC. Sanga couldn’t quite get his movements right, so he asked our analyst to access footage of the Hobart innings. He wanted to check the movement of his left foot in relation to Brett Lee’s delivery stride. Once he’d absorbed the information he needed, he was ready to bat again.

A measure of Sangakkara's class was his quickness to forgive Rudi Koertzen for sawing him off eight short of a double century at Hobart in 2007 CREDIT: AFP
Nothing distracted him from his practice. There were times when, frankly, this made him a pain in the backside. Net sessions could last anything from 20 minutes to an hour. When he was wearing his game head, there was a selfishness about him. But no one minded, because that selfishness was usually for the greater good.

Every coach who worked with him knew you ended up needing reconstructive shoulder surgery. And your throwdowns had to be accurate. I was giving him a few at Sydney, and in the previous game he’d missed a couple of square-drives, so I thought I’d throw one or two a little wider. He left the first alone, and just looked at me. When I did the same again a few balls later, he stared back, then walked straight past me and into the dressing room. We never mentioned it again, but I got the message.

Despite being an outsider, I was always made to feel welcome. The number of dinners he and Mahela paid for got a bit embarrassing, but that’s the Sri Lankan way. I remember how well they looked after some of the Yorkshire lads when they were on a training camp in Sri Lanka. His wife, Yehali, cooked dinner one night and a few of us were invited over. He and Andrew Gale, whom he’d never met before, spent two hours talking about being left-handers – how to hit over the top, how to deal with the rough and the swinging ball and different angles of attack. Sanga won’t thank me for saying this, but he’s a proper cricket badger.

He put his considerable brain to good use, though it was better if you weren’t on the receiving end. If he was ever in danger of losing an argument (which I believe is yet to happen), he would adopt one of two tactics: speak more loudly, or use words you’d never heard of. He would dazzle you into submission. No wonder he once trained to be a lawyer.

Snagakkara slogs Steve Finn for six at the 2015 World Cup in Wellington
Sangakkara smashed England for an unbeaten 117 at the 2015 World Cup, his last campaign as an international cricketer CREDIT: REUTERS
His best sledge was aimed at Nasser Hussain in Sri Lanka in 2003-04, when England were playing in Kandy. Nasser had called Murali – the hometown hero – various names, so the locals weren’t best pleased. And it’s fair to say Nasser was a bit grumpy with his own team-mates too. When he came in to bat, Sanga piped up with: “What’s it like to be hated by both teams?” It wasn’t abusive, but he knew how to get under your skin.

When I left Sri Lanka to join England in 2014, I wasn’t very comfortable about the fact that my first series was against my old team. A few people had accused me of leaving for the money, which was never the case, but Sanga broke the ice ahead of the opening international of the tour, a Twenty20 match at The Oval. As I was walking up the steps to the pavilion, he was at the top. There were quite a few journalists waiting around, and he shouted down: “Traitor! Traitor’s here. Don’t talk to him, boys.”

That was Sanga to a T: he was mischievous, quick-witted and charming, and everyone loved him for it. Sri Lankan cricket will miss him like mad.

Paul Farbrace, England’s assistant coach, was assistant coach of Sri Lanka between 2007 and 2009 and head coach in 2013-14

The Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack 2016, edited by Lawrence Booth, is published by Bloomsbury (£50). To order your copy for £39.99 with free p&p call 0844 871 1514 or visit books.telegraph.co.uk

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2016/04/14/kumar-sangakkara-the-dazzling-kind-perfectionist-sri-lanka-crick/
The Alchemist
Top contributor
Top contributor

Kumar Sangakkara, the dazzling, kind perfectionist Sri Lanka cricket will miss like mad Empty sanga vs shaun pollock.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:25 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQupTOyrSqk&feature=share

do you remember this famous sledge !
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Kumar Sangakkara, the dazzling, kind perfectionist Sri Lanka cricket will miss like mad Empty Re: Kumar Sangakkara, the dazzling, kind perfectionist Sri Lanka cricket will miss like mad

Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:36 pm

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum