The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
CCS.N0000 ( Ceylon Cold Stores)Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:31 amHawk Eye
When Will It Be Safe To Invest In The Stock Market Again?Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Dividend AnnouncementsWed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
MAINTENANCE NOTICE / නඩත්තු දැනුම්දීමThu Apr 06, 2023 3:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 amyellow knife
The Korean Way !Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
In the Meantime Within Our Shores! Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What is Known as Dementia?Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
THE LANKA HOSPITALS CORPORATION PLC (LHCL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Equinox ( වසන්ත විෂුවය ) !Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMB.N0000 (Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
REXP.N0000 (Richard Pieris Exports PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
RICH.N0000 (Richard Pieris and Company PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Do You Have Computer Vision Syndrome?Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
LAXAPANA BATTERIES PLC (LITE.N0000)Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What a Bank Run ?Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTERWed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pmkatesmith1304
GLAS.N0000 (Piramal Glass Ceylon PLC)Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Cboe Volatility Index Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AHPL.N0000Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
TJL.N0000 (Tee Jey Lanka PLC.)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CTBL.N0000 ( CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC (COMD. N.0000))Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:43 pmyellow knife
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CSD.N0000 (Seylan Developments PLC)Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 amyellow knife
PLC.N0000 (People's Leasing and Finance PLC) Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Bakery Products ?Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
NTB.N0000 (Nations Trust Bank PLC)Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Going South Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
When Seagulls Follow the TrawlerThu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Re-activatingSat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
APLA.N0000 (ACL Plastics PLC)Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AVOID FALLING INTO ALLURING WEEKEND FAMILY PACKAGES.Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Banks, Finance & Insurance Sector ChartTue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
VPEL.N0000 (Vallibel Power Erathna PLC)Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DEADLY COCKTAIL OF ISLAND MENTALITY AND PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER MIX.Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
WATA - WatawalaSat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
KFP.N0000(Keels Food Products PLC)Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Capital Trust Broker in difficulty?Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
IS PIRATING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY A BOON OR BANE?Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What Industry Would You Choose to Focus?Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:39 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Should I Stick Around, or Should I Follow Others' Lead?Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:07 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DV-2024 Program: Online RegistrationThu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Disclaimer

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Go down
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Isn't English a Funny Language Empty Isn't English a Funny Language

Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:21 pm
Message reputation : 100% (4 votes)
There is no egg in eggplant or ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple.

Is cheese the plural of choose?

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught?

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

In what language do people recite at a play, and play at a recital?

Ship by truck, and send cargo by ship?

Have noses that run and feet that smell?

Park on driveways and drive on parkways?

Sweetmeats are candies, while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat.

We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square, and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

And why is it that writers write, but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce, and hammers don't ham?

If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth?

One goose, 2 geese. So, one moose, 2 meese?

One index, two indices?

How can the weather be hot as hell one day and cold as hell another?

When a house burns up, it burns down.

You fill in a form by filling it out, and an alarm clock goes off by going on.

When the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.

And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up this essay, I end it?

English muffins were not invented in England or French fries in France.

How can 'slim chance and a fat chance' be the same, while ' wise man and a wise guy' are opposites?

Source

Hybrid

Isn't English a Funny Language Empty Re: Isn't English a Funny Language

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:43 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Kith, you seem to have a knack for the funny side of life! Those were the days when we could have said a person is "Happy and Gay". Not anymore, unless we wanted some ice cold stares coming our way.

Its good that at least we Sri Lankan's don't speak the way the British do. They speak the Cockney language which is wild and vile.

What was once aweful is now awful.

Many years from now, the written English would be like Hebrew. in Hebrew, only the consonants are written and the vowels are added by the reader or pronounced while speaking.

Texting and the use of abbreviated terms in written communication will make the English language more difficult to learn.

Ultimately, it may end up like Latin and Greek.

Nevertheless, English will be spoken globally even by the French and Germans for at least another two decades.

So we may have to bear with the idiosyncrasies of the language.

slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:48 pm
Hybrid wrote:

Nevertheless, English will be spoken globally even by the French and Germans for at least another two decades.

a) What will happen after 2 decades to english?

b) How do you see the American english version?

yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:51 pm
Every language is funny . In Sprats you have neither rice nor flies...

Thankx kith ... very funny...
Hybrid
Hybrid

Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:59 pm
slstock wrote:
Hybrid wrote:

a) What will happen after 2 decades to english?

b)  How do you see the American english version?

Language (like many other inventions) is used by the powerful nations to "throw their weight around".  Twisted Evil The French, Germans, British and others used their languages to subjugate and keep the layman and foreigner alike from interfering with their way of governance. Evil or Very Mad

The British or former English did it in style with all forms of pomp and pageantry. they also 'ruled the seas' after the defeat of the Spaniards. The likes of Shakespeare, poets, writers and the Royal Family created a demand and held in prominence the possession of the English Language. cheers

Howe ever,there is a saying " Siyaluma Dhey Annithiyai" and now the English language is losing its once prominent and glamorous position as the worlds International Language belonging exclusively to the English (England). Crying or Very sad

What has happened is that the language is 'bastardized' ( Embarassed) to use one of the English language's Anglo-Saxon words. Thousands upon thousands of words are being added each year to the English Language making it the most complex and difficult languages to learn. I would liken this English Language to a whore ( Embarassed ) who has no owner. Everyone and every nation has contributed to the birth and sustenance and growth of the English Language.  Very Happy

On the positive angle, this language is one of the most expressive and you could kill a man without him knowing it if one has the full command of the English Language. lol!

Anyway, the English will not be owned by the English and will eventually be localized to suit the usage and practices of each nation. No one Nation will dictate  the norms or its usage. However, there is a trend developing within corporate organizations to stick to a consistent language among all its entities, branches, vendors and customers. At the moment it is only in English.

Hope that answers your question about what will happen to the English Language very soon. The next question will be answered after a break!
Hybrid
Hybrid

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:37 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
slstock wrote:

b)  How do you see the American english version?
[/quote]

Americans aren't copy-cats by choice.
They will always do things differently in an affected manner.

The English that the US citizens use is different in three prominent ways:
1) Grammar
2) Pronunciation
3) Spelling

The Grammar used is not as complicated as the English, English! The USA uses simple forms of the present and past tenses.

The English Pronunciation is more conceited than the US. Any Dick, Tom, or Harry Jayawardena cannot pronounce many English words as they are termed 'above par'.

Spelling of English words by the US is far more simpler. They choose to knock down the additional flavour by taking off the  "U" and spelling it " Flavor". Same goes for "Honour", " Favour", "Colour" etc.

What the US has done is simplified the usage of the English Language so that the common man could use it more freely.

Anyway, the education level of many an American is poor and the soldiers in its armies have to be given written instructions in simple English and diagrams or pictures adjacent to the instructions as they are unable to read well. Imagine what will happen to the Syrians if an uneducated soldier lets go a bomb on the Syrians because he couldn't understand the instructions?

The best usage of the English Language I like is when I watch a Japanese or Chinese Film or Video. The Sub-titles are hilarious.

Anyway, we also learned the English language with great difficulty. So we should be patient with others.

IT and software is developed using the US English.

Hopefully, the Japanese will not use their version of the English language for the many electronics and manuals. I think I might murder them instead of murdering the Queen!
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:46 pm
Phew !
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:53 pm
1) Hmm, some very interesting ideas.
Many thing you said I can testify and agree.
Other can be topics for a discussion.

2)
But will not add anything much.
I like others to read you erudite version without burying it behind detailed replies .

Just to arouse interest, will say this.
Sometimes there were some other mediums ( like music, beats, and humming) that was used by people of certain countries/ethnicities to communicate or pass signals Wink

I guess in Sri lankan we had/have the "Hokki Hooowa".

3)
So what language has the probability to replace English after 2 decades ?
( actually that too soon I think anyway)

In the country am in presently, certain 2 languages ( and people who use it )is growing.

Hybrid
Hybrid

Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:38 pm
Well, to give you a candid but blunt answer, in my opinion,the English Language will be a localized and mutilated form of the 21st Century English Language in the future. The exact year is not possible but will take over two decades.

As an example, I would take the English spoken by the Indians. Its utterly, mutilated and what is now used as "so called English" is a massaged version that the Hindhi speaking population use.

The same goes for the Sinh-Lish that we some times use unwittingly. We have the 'ne the', 'come co', ' kadannefy', 'pahadilify' , 'kudufy' etc.

Also, I see a trend in mixing sinhala and english words alternatively in any conversation which irritates me to the giddy limit.

I like both languages and use both effectively for clarity and purpose.

I speak to the cops in Sinhala when I have to.
I speak to my Boss in English when I have to.
A also speak my friends in the presence of my Boss in Sinhala when I have to.

So that's what will happen to the English Language in Sri Lanka and India  

As for the rest of the world, it will not be English any more. May be I could coin a word for your benefit or curiosity. We can call the new language "UN Inter-Lingo" which will be the generic language and each country would adapt its own localized version sticking closely to the generic rules.
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:02 am
I do not think the English language will ever be replaced. Very Happy
However, it will be mutilated to such an extent that you will not think it as English anymore. Evil or Very Mad
(What is the opposite of postponement? To most south Indians it is "Prepone". With over billion taking on such words, soon Oxford and other dictionaries have to include them in their publications, even if they are not English, because at the end numbers matter). Shocked

yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:56 am
Very good discussion..

By now we have to accept Indian accent as mentioned above. Even in the movie Jurasic World the Indian speaks in Indian accent and since the numbers matter we have to accept it.

Earlier there was a trend to speak English as an Enlishman.. Now as a local ... No more elocution is needed to form the accent..

the discussion reminds me My Fair Lady..

The rain in Spain was never on plains...

Isn't English a Funny Language 2Q==
Hybrid
Hybrid

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:52 pm
yellow knife wrote:Very good discussion..

By now we have to accept Indian accent as mentioned above. Even in the movie Jurasic World the Indian speaks in Indian accent and since the numbers matter we have to accept it.

Earlier there was a trend to speak English as an Enlishman.. Now as a local ... No more elocution is needed to form the accent..

the discussion reminds me My Fair Lady..

The rain in Spain was never on plains...

Yes, That is true these Indians really annoy me with their speech.

Anyway, I hope I do not have to learn another blooming language all over again. I managed to painstakingly learn English and Sinhala and still learning as I do not know even 5% of the words that are in the Dictionary. maybe 40,000 or so roughly of the English and 5000 of the Sinhala.
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:38 pm
Coding is one of the languages of the future.
Hybrid
Hybrid

Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:42 pm
Backstage wrote:Coding is one of the languages of the future.

I did not commit myself initially. That's why I coined the name "UN-Inter-Lingo".

Things are going to be Bar coded, QR read, Symbolized, Characterized, Numerated and quantified in the future.

Risk Management will verify them!
Very Happy

rameez

Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:52 pm
We need to blame ourselves.
The indians never thought us english...although our background which we try to hide is Indian  
Sri lanka was exposed to speaking traditional English but that stupid decision to nature English as a secondary language screwed those opportunities and this is the outcome....
Results as seen on this forum don't come overnight.
At least we should have learnt form the Indians when they faltered in their accent .
Some of us never changed though! .....because we knew its values at a very tender age even when we were compelled to learn sinhala or tamil..in school.
However We can still be what we should be....easily with the present generation where english is widely spoken thanks to the openings in the educational sector if one and all  really understands the value of speaking English from a very tender age and mind you ...the best place to do it is at home. We never attended elocution classes! but we still pronounce 'success' and 'saw' the english way...  So lets work for the better of the future by regaining that real english sri lankan accent. Just be sri lankan and 'lets do it'.
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:08 pm
"risk Management will verify them!"

Verified in Singlish..... drunken
pee ratio

Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:12 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
Isn't English a Funny Language Watch?feature=player_embedded&v=h67k9eEw9AY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=h67k9eEw9AY
Hybrid
Hybrid

Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:48 pm
George Carlin really exemplifies the redundancies of many adjectives and superlatives in the English language.

However, I note that he himself uses one religious and superfluous word in every other sentence of his.

I think he does that for effect and attracting attention just the same thing other people do.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum