» Dividend Announcement
Yesterday at 12:19 pm by nihal123

» Flying is the Safest mode of Transport
Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:57 am by කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා

» Land of Idiots
Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:46 am by CK

» Protectionism not sustainable, Sri Lanka ceramic industry told
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:13 pm by Backstage

» Credit growth to surge beyond Central Bank’s expectation if agriculture sector picks up
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:26 pm by Backstage

» Beware the Ides of March !
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:15 pm by The Alchemist

» ලංකාවේ දුවන්නේ ලොරි බස් – ධම්මික කියයි
Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:57 pm by nihal123

» Happy Birthday
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:53 pm by nihal123

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:37 pm by spw19721

» Obituary Notice.
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:37 pm by sashimaal

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:23 am by lanka

» “ ඔසු උයන ” at Kahathuduwa, Piliyandala
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:01 pm by AjithR

» Oil,gold, silver Prices
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:00 pm by කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා

» SLT Suspends Free Email Service
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:14 pm by slstock

» Perpetual Treasuries
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:49 pm by slstock

» මහනුවර ප්‍රචණ්ඩ ක්‍රියා: සැකකරුවන් අසූඑක් දෙනෙක් අත්අඩංගුවේ
Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:35 pm by Ethical Trader

» ලෝකෙ ඕනෑම තැනකට විදින්න පුළුවන් මිසයිල අපි ලඟ - පූතින්
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:15 am by soileconomy

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:27 pm by Ethical Trader

» Micro Finance
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:20 am by yellow knife

» නිවැරදි බුදු දහම
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:08 am by Ethical Trader

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:39 pm by Ethical Trader

» Laughter the Best Medicine
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:42 pm by pee ratio

» වචන නම් අපේ ඒත් තනුව ?????????
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:52 pm by Rana

» The largest known Prime Number
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:14 pm by Ethical Trader

» "My Entrepreneurship Mind and the Leadership Heart” Mr. Dhammika Perera
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:05 pm by Backstage

» "My Entrepreneurship Mind and the Leadership Heart” Mr. Dhammika Perera
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:00 pm by Backstage

» Citi rating model tops Sri Lanka as most attractive frontier market
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:41 pm by Backstage

» JINS.N0000 ( Janashakthi Insurance PLC)
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:51 am by කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා

» Aircel, country's last small mobile phone operator, files for bankruptcy (India)
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:23 am by sashimaal

» Alliance Finance
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:33 pm by Ethical Trader

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:13 am by Ethical Trader

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:08 pm by Ethical Trader

» East West properties
Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:07 pm by Ethical Trader

» Resus Energy වැඩි බලය Trydan Partners යටතට
Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:13 pm by Ethical Trader

» බුද්ධ භවනා
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:35 pm by Ethical Trader

» හවුල් ආණ්ඩුව තවදුරටත් පවතින බව පාර්ලිමේන්තුවට දන්වයි
Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:17 pm by Ethical Trader

» ජීවිතය පටන් ගන්නේ 60න්
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:14 pm by lanka

» EAP ගනුදෙනුවේ සැඟවුණු ගැනුම්කරු හෙළිවෙයි
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:39 pm by lanka

» මිලියන 4,000 ක අකිලගේ ටැබ් කොන්ත්‍රාත්තුව අබාන්ස්ට
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:55 pm by nihal123

» Dhananath Fernando wins $ 10,000 for Sri Lanka in Think Tank Shark Tank in Asia
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:35 am by Ethical Trader

» උදයංග වීරතුංග රැගෙන ඒමට පොලිස් නිලධාරීහු ඩුබායි වෙත
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:24 am by soileconomy

» ධම්මික පෙරේරා කෝටි 16 ක කාරයක් ගෙනෙයි
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:31 pm by soileconomy

» ආර්ථික අර්බුදය ඉක්මවා ගිය දේශපාලන අර්බුදය හමුවේ 'රුපියල'
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:00 pm by Ethical Trader

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:12 am by pjrngroup

» විගණකාධිපතිගේ 2016 වාර්තාව මෙන්න
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:31 pm by Ethical Trader

» Boost for foreign investment in Govt. securities
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:45 pm by Ethical Trader

March 2018

Calendar Calendar

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Sri Lankan Doctorates for sale in India

Go down

Sri Lankan Doctorates for sale in India

Post by Sriranga on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:34 pm

Vasudeva Sharma was shocked when two men walked into his office with an offer last week. They placed on his desk an application that would fetch him an honorary doctorate from a Sri Lankan university.

“They told me I had to pay $3,500 (`2.13 lakh) to get an honorary doctorate for my social work,” said Sharma (48), executive director, Child Rights Trust.

The men identified themselves as Suresh and Ananth, and said they represented the Open International University of Complementary Medicines (OIUCM) in Colombo.

As it turns out, scores of people have received not just honorary doctorates, but are also practising as doctors with OIUCM degrees in homeopathy, acupuncture, ayurveda and naturopathy.

The university’s website, which contains many false claims, states its mandate is to popularise alternative medicine.

In India, OIUCM offers courses through 11 dubious institutions, one of which is located in Bangalore and another in Mumbai, the rest being in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Its courses are offered in 12 other countries, including the United States, China, Australia and Pakistan.

“They said I had been referred for an honorary doctorate. When I asked them who had referred me, they said a team of researchers had assessed my work. They tried to lure me with the possibilities of having a ‘Dr’ prefix to my name,” Sharma said.

He was not the only one they approached. Mathews Philip, executive director of the South India Cell for Human Rights Education and Monitoring (SICHREM), was also “shortlisted” for a doctorate that would cost him `3 lakh. “I refused outright and threw them out of my office. I knew it was a fraud,” he said.

PhD in Two Months
Posing as a student looking for a PhD, an Express reporter approached the National Institute of Alternative Medicine Systems in Shivajinagar. The institute is affiliated to OIUCM.

“The fee is `50,000 and it is negotiable. You can get a PhD certificate in one month. If you wish to go in depth, you’ll get a certificate in two months, with a seal from OIUCM,” said Dr A R Samiullah, the institute’s president.

He claimed the degree was recognised internationally and many students were pursuing OIUCM courses. Interestingly, the institute offers courses from the Karnataka State Open University as well.

Not Registered
The Sri Lankan High Commission in Delhi informed Express OIUCM was not registered with the University Grants Commission of Sri Lanka. Even Dr N J Nonis, registrar of the Sri Lanka Medical Council, said OIUCM and its degrees were not recognised.

Dr Prashanth Shetty, principal of SDM College of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences in Ujire, said he had heard about OIUCM and its activities in India. “It is a fake university. They provide MD degrees in naturopathy and acupuncture in three to six days,” he said. “I hope the law takes its course.” He was concerned about the quacks practising on the basis of such MDs.

Only 16 legitimate institutes in the country offer naturopathy and yoga courses. “No such thing as an alternative medicine course exists. Only those institutes affiliated to the RGUHS are recognised,” he said.

Vijaykumar Gogi, director of the Department of Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy (AYUSH), promised action. “Educational institutions do not come under our purview, but I will raise this with those concerned. We have already proposed stringent action against those practising without registering with the Karnataka Unani and Ayush Practitioners’ Board,” he said.

Dr Gurujis
Spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar received an honorary doctorate of philosophy in holistic medicine from the OIUCM in 2006. In 2010, godman Swami Nityananda also received an honorary doctorate from this dubious university. The OIUCM falsely claims recognition from the WHO and the United Nations.
Courtesy: The New Indian Express

"Investing is easy to learn, but it takes a lifetime to master."

Back to top Go down

Re: Sri Lankan Doctorates for sale in India

Post by chinwi on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:21 pm

T.Y. Lama S. Gangchen Tulku Rinpoche
Vice Chancellor
The Open International University, Colombo

...and this is how they mislead people using www

Telephone: 695301,695302                                                                        
18. Ward Place. Colombo 7, Sri Lanka
Date: 9  June, 1991

The Open International University is the only International Institution is Sri Lanka which is not financed by the State, it is outside the jurisdiction of the University Grants Commission but, nevertheless, the teaching which it offers provides a significant contribution to the aims of the Government. ......

Therefore, in accordance with the wide-reaching educational policy of Sri Lanka, The Open International University holds graduate and post-graduate courses and issues graduate and post-graduate degrees.

Yours faithfully,

Prof. A.P.R Aluwihare
Chairman (UGC SL)

Top contributor
Top contributor

Back to top Go down

Sri Sri may return Honorary Doctorate to SL Uni

Post by Sriranga on Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:33 pm

The Art of Living may return the honorary doctorate conferred on its founder Sri Sri Ravi Shankar to the Open International University for Complementary Medicines (OIUCM) in Sri Lanka, after Express reported that the university does not have any statutory recognition.

“The (Express) article came as a surprise to us. We received a message that they wanted to confer a doctorate on Sri Sri Ravi Shankar.

Sri Sri did not even go himself to receive the doctorate although the First Lady of Sri Lanka did the honours at the event. We are considering returning the doctorate,” read a statement issued by the Art of Living on Wednesday.

The spiritual leader was awarded a doctorate in holistic medicine by OIUCM in 2006. On Tuesday, Express reported that doctorates and degrees of this university were being sold through agents and other dubitable institutions. (Indian Express)

"Investing is easy to learn, but it takes a lifetime to master."

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum